The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Have polygons? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Trival post of the day for a new Omnigraffle user. I've just spend the last 30 minutes trying to find the polygon tool that is talked about in the help file. My tool palette does not have a polygon tool anywhere on it. Any help on this trivial matter would be appreciated. I have a pretty significant diagram already built that is in bad need of a couple polygons... :-)

thx,
-Chris

[In case you haven't read my email reply yet...]

In OmniGraffle 4, the Polygon Tool has been supplanted by the new Pen Tool, which also offers the ability to create polygons as the old tool did.

The Pen Tool is located just to the right of the Shape Tool, and left of the Line Tool. To create polygons with it, the operation is the same as the old Polygon Tool, a single click will create a hard corner point. However, if you click, and hold down the mouse button and drag, you will create a bezier curve with control handles.

Hope that helps,

Is there an easy way to make "symmetrical" (for loss of a better word)polygons (i.e. equilateral hexagon, octagon, etc.)?

No easy way to make regular polygons, however there's a nice stencil at Peter McMaster's website.

But how do you close a custom shape into a polygon? It doesn't look like one endpoint snaps to the other when you drag it, and I don't see any other way to close it. Was polygon support really removed in 4? Weird...

Sounds like you're using the Line Tool instead of the Pen Tool to make your shapes, which of course won't work. Lines are for making connections between shapes, the Pen Tool is the third tool from the left.