The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Saving complete web pages (with images)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, to do that it would have to include a site sucking tool like iCab has had for a long time, but then you get issues with it downloading content you don't need or not going down enough levels in the hierarchy etc. I suspect getting a tool that downloads the content just for the page you are viewing in the correct folder hierarchy could be quite difficult to code. I also suspect that it is something we are very unlikely to see in OmniWeb 5.x ;)

I'm not convinced that it should be that difficult to code because Firefox, Opera (up to 8.x it used a "flat model" with no subfolder, 9.x changed that) and IE (Windows, not the obsolete Mac version) all do it. iCab does it (at least did it, when I used it), in a way (unfortunately mangled into zip archives). Some other Gecko-based browsers (like K-Meleon/Windows) do it. Safari, AFAIK, still doesn't.

Actually you could consider it a quasi-standard. (Almost) all of them save the supplementary files into a "_files" subfolder and change the references to the files in the html file itself. No multi-level page-sucking, just the displayed page.

Unfortunately, I've been on Windows for a while and it looks like I have to take Firefox (or Opera) with me on the switch back. OW would have looked nice. The tab thumbnails would have been a good remedy against my habit to have up to 50 tabs open and not knowing how to clean them up :)

TB

Edit: I made this a feature request: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?p=9022

Last edited by timb; 2006-11-28 at 06:07 PM..

If your only goal is to view and print the page just as you saw it when you were browsing, webarchive is what you are looking for. This is just one binary file that holds all the data needed to view that single page. You can directly drag the file into OW—or doubleclick on it if you have OW assigned to open .webarchive files.

If you want to have direct access to all the used files, the html, the css and the images, e.g., you'll have to use third party tools, though.

Last edited by zottel; 2006-11-29 at 10:47 AM..