The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing Between Different Computers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With KinklessGTD, I saved my Kinkless file on my iMac iDisk, and was able to access it anywhere.

I've looked for the equivalent file for OmniFocus, and found a backup folder in my documents folder, but no main OmniFocus file. I've heard something about OmniFocus using core data instead of an actual document file.

Is it possible to do something similar to what I did with kGTD with OmniFocus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarkschofield View Post
I've looked for the equivalent file for OmniFocus, and found a backup folder in my documents folder, but no main OmniFocus file. I've heard something about OmniFocus using core data instead of an actual document file.
The OmniFocus data are kept in a package:
~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus

According to earlier reports on the forum, you can move that file (i.e., package) to the iDisk. You'll then have to launch the program by double-clicking the file; launching the app otherwise will create a new OmniFocus.ofocus file in your user Library.

I haven't tried this myself, so I won't vouch for it.

I found this unworkable. I tried .Mac another Webdav volume and it was prohibitively slow.

.Mac or any other server, i found too slow also. Resorted to USB Thumbdrive

I tried the thumbdrive approach a while back -- I recall that the way the window opened (everything collapsed, or some such) as opposed to the way I closed it was different. Has that changed, or is there some way to carry forward the look and feel? Also, are Perpectives (and the Perspective state of the file when closed) carried with the file? Thanks.

Bob

Me three on the issue of using ANY network accessed device as the "common" location for the file: it is simply too slow to keep up with the "live updating" aspect of OmniFocus. Since this is one of the primary reasons for developing OF as an "enhancement" of kGTD, it's pretty much a killer issue.

For my own use, I have found that using "Synchronize! X Plus" to synchronize:

…works great.

For those who are still using the WebInterface, it's important to use the "Don't sync folders…" function in S!XP to exclude BY NAME the folder "Web Interface" (if you select the folder itself, then anytime the WebInterface gets restarted it will hang because it can't find THAT PARTICULAR folder).

If anyone wants further details, post here and I'll expand/explain as needed.

Its too bad that OmniFocus doesn't

1. Have a better web interface that would prevent the need to syncing
2. Have a pluging for .Mac sync
3. Have an open/save dialog for .Mac.

Number 3 is likely the most practial as the code is pretty easy to implement. (I've done it so it must be easy. :-)

Last edited by adhamh; 2007-10-15 at 06:04 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhamh View Post
Its too bad that OmniFocus does [presumably you meant "does not"]

1. Have a better web interface that would prevent the need [for] syncing
2. Have a plugin for .Mac sync
3. Have a[n] open/save dialog for .Mac.
While you're at it, why not wish for world peace? C'mon, this is alpha version software here!

I feel quite confident that some version of all three of your wish-list items are on the feature list of some version of OmniFocus after they get 1.0 out the door. I also feel quite confident that trying to get those features working now would fall right under the heading: "perfect is the enemy of good."

For myself, I'd much rather spend my own effort in getting the syncing working for my own particular circumstances if that means that the effort at Omni is, um, "focused" on making the core app as functional as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet14 View Post
While you're at it, why not wish for world peace? C'mon, this is alpha version software here!
Am I not allowed to point out areas in which improvements could be made because this is Alpha software?

I've seen a lot of complaining about this software on these boards which is unreasonable because it is alpha software. All I was doing was making constructive suggestions on how to solve the syncing issue. I was not jumping up and down screaming and yelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet14 View Post
Me three on the issue of using ANY network accessed device as the "common" location for the file: it is simply too slow to keep up with the "live updating" aspect of OmniFocus. Since this is one of the primary reasons for developing OF as an "enhancement" of kGTD, it's pretty much a killer issue.

For my own use, I have found that using "Synchronize! X Plus" to synchronize:

…works great.

I am already using Unison to synchronize my office, laptop and home computers, therefore, I simply added the above path to my configuration.

However, whenever I am launching OF from any of the two machines
that were not used to create the OF package, I am getting the following
error, and no content.

Unable to read document. Found multiple root transactions in '/Users/turcotte/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus'.

- What does 'multiple root transactions' mean?
- Are there additional steps before synchronizing the packages?
Such as 'Clean up', ...

Thank you for your help!
M.