The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with 2 Perspectives Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I have some trouble with two of my perspectives.

My first perspective is called "Daily Ritual" and lists my typical work flow.
My second perspective is called "Work" which shows all my flagged items.

I select all tasks I want to do (most important tasks) and flag them in my planning perspective and switch over to my Work perspective to start working on my flagged tasks (MIT) which appear here as they are flagged

So far so good. The problem: I have flagged my tasks of the daily ritual as well so that they come up in my Work perspective. My daily ritual contains one action group called "clear to neutral". Please see the screenshot. In my daily ritual perspective the action group is fine however this action group is broken in the work perspective and all tasks are listed as single actions with the action group header "clear to neutral" greyed out and shifted to the end . Please see the second screenshot.

Why is this? Is there anything wrong with my filters?

Thanks for any ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daily Ritual.png
Views:	697
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Work.png
Views:	658
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1995  

Sorry for the confusion! Looks like one perspective is built on Planning mode, while the other is built on Context mode. The two modes display your information slightly differently.

In planning mode, organization is hierarchical, so you can break big tasks into smaller component tasks and see the relationships between everything.

In context mode, the intent is for you to just work on checking off actions. Do A, then do B, then do C; the relationships aren't as important in this mode. (David Allen describes this state as "mind like water".)

To try and help you do that, Context mode shows you everything as a flat list, with the stuff you can check off first at the top of the list. Start at the top, work your way to the bottom, and when you get there, you're done.

That's why you're seeing the row for the action group listed below the items it contains - working top to bottom, you'd check them off, then check off the group. Ditto for the project appearing below the items in that project. (That's also why those rows are appearing in the grey "unavailable" color.)

General principle: once you check off the items in the container, the container row becomes available and you can check it off, too.

Thanks a lot. You are right, the "Work" perspective is in context mode and I got your point. Indeed, ticking off each single item makes the action group header become available. This is fine for me as I know now that my set up is correct.

Thank you very much