The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maintaining keyboard focus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can anything be done to maintain keyboard focus on pages that allow for keyboard shortcuts. Safari and OmniWeb suffer from the same problem on pages like gmail or bloglines. When you first navigate to the page you need to click somewhere on the page for it to gain focus. If you then use a shortcut you need to click again on the page to regain focus. The same problem does not exist in firefox or Camino.

Steve

I use a few pages that have keyboard shortcuts. I can confirm that you have to click somewhere in the page before keyboard shortcuts will work (and would definitely like this to be fixed, since it wasn't an issue in OmniWeb 5.1.3 and earlier), but I usually don't have to click it again after using a shortcut. My guess is that perhaps you're using some kind of shortcut that causes a different page to load, and that's why you have to click again? Most of the things I use keyboard shortcuts for, don't cause a new page to load.

One other thing I should mention is that the pages I tested are ones that use JavaScript (onKeyUp/onKeyDown events) to listen for keyboard input, as opposed to the accesskey attribute in HTML.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2006-07-23 at 07:14 PM..

I agree, I think this is my largest quibble with OmniWeb at the moment. (Which attests to the wonderful state OmniWeb is in!)

I notice this most often when using gmail's keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks!