The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"No root transactions" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just got OF and OF for iPhone (which I use on a 16GB touch), and I can't get the sync to work. I had it working on one Mac the first night, then I tried it on another Mac too and got this message:
"Unable to synchronize database with server.
Unable to read document.
No root transactions found in “”."

Then I tried it again on the first Mac where it did work and now it says the same. I still have all the data I've entered on the first Mac and the Touch, but if I can't sync this with another Mac, and basically move OF over to it (my main work machine), then I'll be very disappointed.

Any advice? I've looked through threads here but not found anything that was helpful.

Last edited by emiratesmac; 2008-07-14 at 11:08 PM..
I remember one of the engineers mentioning something that could cause this, but it was in a group chat, which means that iChat didn't save the transcript to disk, and my brain is failing me.

I emailed him; when he responds, I'll post the answer here. Very sorry!
I have the latest version of the sneaky peak and iphone application.

I am syncing using Mobile Me.

I was getting the No Root Transactions Found Error on both phone and
Mac. So I removed the database from MobileMe and changed the location
of the file from Documents folder to Documents/omni on idisk.

Resynced both and all was well for the remainder of the day...

Got up this morning and was greeted by the No Root Transactions Error
again on the phone. I can't check the Mac as it's in my office
(powered off).

I have a bunch of tasks I want to add to my phone but am worried that
I will lose them if I have to move the database again...

Pretty frustrated...any help would be much appreciated.

I have emailed the support ninjas as well...

thank you.
I'm getting the same "No root transactions found in" error here. I've tried removing the OmniFocus.ofocus directory and setting up the sync process fresh several times with no luck.

I'm eagerly awaiting any hints at getting sync working so I can use OmniFocus on my phone too.
I may have the answer, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

It seems by turning idisk sync to off, so it can only be connected to when actually connected to the internet has helped.

I'll post a follow up tomorrow.
I'm getting the same error on both the iPhone and the desktop. Neither will sync with MobileMe/iDisk. Help.
Sorry about the unclear error message! We'll try to come up with something more understandable.

The "root" transaction is the first transaction written to your OmniFocus database, and this error indicates that something has deleted that first transaction. I don't think there's any way for OmniFocus to do this itself (it writes everything to a temporary location and then moves it into place so that another copy won't see a partially written database), so my guess is that something else is deleting those transaction files.

Perhaps something else is trying to synchronize an old copy of the entire folder that the database lives in, and ends up removing transactions? I guess it's possible that iDisk offline syncing might do this, although I don't know why it would think that an older copy of that folder without transactions should replace a newer copy with them.

If you're seeing this error, could you confirm whether you have iDisk Sync turned on in your MobileMe (or .Mac) preferences, and whether turning that off fixes the issue? Thanks!
This thread helped me:

So, long story short, the "OmniFocus.ofocus" file on iDisk was corrupted somehow. I renamed it "OLD" and had my desktop app sync again. The desktop app then created a new database file (it's my most up-to-date version).

I then reset the database on the iPhone. Then I sync'd the iPhone to the newly created database -- which had been giving me that transaction error for days -- and it sync'd right away.
I've turned off my offline sync (on my home mac) and it is now working on my iphone. No errors. My working theory at this point is the offline sync caused this.

So my steps were this...

1. Rename Old Data file on idisk and move it to a different location.
2. Turn off Offline Sync in MobileMe preferences
3. Re-sync the latest OF version from my phone to idisk.
4. No errors
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

If you're seeing this error, could you confirm whether you have iDisk Sync turned on in your MobileMe (or .Mac) preferences, and whether turning that off fixes the issue? Thanks!
I am seeing the error and do have iDisk Sync turned on. I just turned it off and am starting fresh again to see if it'll work with it turned off.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error: "No root can reach all tail transactions" sgiovannini Bonjour sync 2 2011-02-23 09:10 AM
MobileMe "Root Transactions" problems [SOLVED: caused by iDisk syncing, see sticky.] codog24 iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing 27 2009-09-01 06:21 PM
Solving MobileMe/iDisk "Root Transactions" problems Brian iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing 0 2009-05-13 06:38 PM
"No root transactions found" error: Once more with feeling kklein OmniFocus 1 for Mac 10 2009-04-22 01:03 PM
OmniFocus dies with "no root transactions..." dialog box drjamesincandenza OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2009-03-19 02:18 PM

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.