The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Synchronization error message Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a new user to OF and am enjoying using it. However, I hit a problem this morning. When I boot up OF I get the following message:
Cannot start synchronization server.

Cannot read pid file for newly launched server
It started happening after I had a problem in Mail where I wanted to "Move to Inbox" and the application seemed to hang for ~20s. It was when I closed down Mail and OmniFocus and restarted that the problems began.

How do I fix the problem?

Stephendancer, I know our support ninjas have gotten some reports of a problem like this. I want to say it's a permissions issue on the machine in question, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I know they've helped folks resolve this, though; if you send them an email, they'll get you back up and running...

Thanks. Actually, the problem has kind of gone away!

I've actually had this same problem intermittently.

I have OmniFocus 1.9.4 running on OS X 10.6.8 with all of the latest software updates from Apple installed. OF is setup as one of the Login Items that starts up after I have logged into my system in my Standard user role.

About 10-20% of the time, I get the same "Cannot start synchronization server. -- Cannot read pid file for newly launched server" message, but OF still starts up and is usable. It's just that I can't sync using Bonjour with my iPhone or iPad on my local network.

Usually if I quit and then restart OF the problem does not recur (it has only happened once that it repeatedly failed with the same message; a reboot cured the problem).

Any idea what might be causing this? I doubt it is a permissions issue since it works most of the time.

It's a bit of an annoyance so if there is something simple to remedy the problem, I'd be grateful for the fix.

Thanks.

Last edited by grokintosh; 2011-12-29 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: So I can get the thread reply notification email