The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Applying OmniFocus for iPhone in University Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello

I'm going to be starting University from the fall, and I was wondering how i could use OmniFocus for the iPhone (as a standalone) for University. I basically need an agenda, somewhere I could type in my class, and then list its projects/assignments/homework etc. and what i need to do to complete it. On top of that i'll be active in the community, joining school clubs etc. Any help on organizing OmniFocus for a University will be appreciated.

Shine.

Last edited by Shine.; 2009-06-22 at 07:33 PM..

Just off the top of my head, I'd probably set up folders for each of your classes/clubs, and then create projects in those folders for assignments or goals relevant to that class/club.

For contexts, instructors (for conversations you need to have with them), on-campus locations (labs, libraries, etc.), and any class specific equipment all come to mind...

Does that help to get you started? If you have more questions, we're happy to help. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Just off the top of my head, I'd probably set up folders for each of your classes/clubs, and then create projects in those folders for assignments or goals relevant to that class/club.

For contexts, instructors (for conversations you need to have with them), on-campus locations (labs, libraries, etc.), and any class specific equipment all come to mind...

Does that help to get you started? If you have more questions, we're happy to help. :-)
Thanks a lot Brian!
I currently don't own a Mac, I was wondering how to create these "folders" ? I'd like to have something like this:

Calculus: Read page 12, questions 1 to 30

would Calculus be a context?

i just don't know how to set it up properly, so any help would be helpful. I'm a little confused. Thanks!

A context is a place or tool that you need to complete an action. So for this example, the context might be wherever you do your homework.

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with Getting Things Done, a book and productivity technique by David Allen. You can get a lot out of OF without having read the book, but it's even better if you have read it. The book is really inexpensive. Even if you don't feel like you need to read it to use OF, I'd still encourage you to take a look. It really helped me as a student and now I encourage my students to give it a try.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine. View Post
Thanks a lot Brian!
I currently don't own a Mac, I was wondering how to create these "folders" ?
In the project view, tap the "+" button at the bottom right. Then tap "New Folder"...

Quote:
I'd like to have something like this:

Calculus: Read page 12, questions 1 to 30

would Calculus be a context?

i just don't know how to set it up properly, so any help would be helpful. I'm a little confused. Thanks!
I spent a lot of time on my detailed answer to this question in your original thread, I'm disappointed that it wasn't of any help to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In the project view, tap the "+" button at the bottom right. Then tap "New Folder"...

I spent a lot of time on my detailed answer to this question in your original thread, I'm disappointed that it wasn't of any help to you!
Actually i used that a lot, it was very useful, and i have used your examples. However basing it off the Mac screen shots i became confused. If you are wondering..yes, i did buy OmniFocus.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the Folder instructions, that helps me so much!

I was wondering, should i keep all my contexts which are in University, under one context? or would that be too confusing? Because i have a lot of places which i visit, such as the labs, libraries, registrar's office etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine. View Post
I was wondering, should i keep all my contexts which are in University, under one context? or would that be too confusing? Because i have a lot of places which i visit, such as the labs, libraries, registrar's office etc.
I generally organize my contexts this way - all of my "Omni" ones live under a common header, for example. I don't actually assign that many actions to the parent context, but it helps keep things organized.

I set my context as what I have to do, including note-taking, lecture, lab, tutorial etc.

And for my projects, i set my subjects - I have 5 subjects at the moment

The folders? I use it as simply University, Miscellaneous and Exam Studying

What do you think of that? Is that effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller48 View Post
I set my context as what I have to do, including note-taking, lecture, lab, tutorial etc.
Perhaps you could consider these as contexts, starting with the -> as top-level, and everything underneath as sub-contexts ...

-> ACTIONS (these have no location dependence)
* review
* read
* study
-> LOCATIONS
* lab
* lecture
* recitation
* dorm
* home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller48 View Post
And for my projects, i set my subjects - I have 5 subjects at the moment. The folders? I use it as simply University, Miscellaneous and Exam Studying
Based on how I set up my teaching schedule, I would suggest that a student set folders and projects in the following way, with one course as an example:

University (folder)

- HSY 101 (folder)

-- Assignments (folder)
--- Homework 1 (project)
--- Report 3 (project)

-- Exams (folder)
-- Exam 1 (project or folder)
-- Final Exam (project or folder)

-- Lectures (folder)
--- Lecture 13 (project or folder)

Personal (folder)

--
JJW

Wow, I can definitely relate to that, thank you so much! My workflow is similarto yours, but I have to adjust mine so the workflow can be smooth :)

And from your own perspective, what do you think of setting due dates for things like homework and tasks that do not have a set due date? Sometimes I just don't have the "time" set aside to complete the Time section for Actions, and sometimes don't even know when to set the time because it is not due anytime..

Does GTD method imply for one to set a due date for EVERY inboxed tasks?