The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

view completed tasks by date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hi - i am using the iPad version and really like it so far.
i've been using it for about 6 weeks now.

one thing i've noticed is that i'm not able to view completed tasks by date.

i'd like to be able to see what i've done in a week or day by project.

i work in app development, so i mostly just make a list on the fly based on what supervisor or client requests and then check off what i do.

i don't use start dates or anything because my projects aren't like that. but even i if did use start date as the complete date, i don't see a way to sort by that.

in fact, i don't see a way to see ONLY completed tasks. it looks like the Review feature is for some sort of GTD implementation that i'm not using.

i'd really rather not spend even more money on the desktop Mac version just to have this functionality. i had the trial version on the Mac and didn't really use it that much. i wish there was a bundle or discount for buying for several devices.

thanks for any feedback you can provide.

It's possible to do this using a perspective. However, you really need the Mac version of OmniFocus to create the perspective. If you have the Mac version, it's easy… show the "completed" date column, and then sort (or group) by date completed.

If you don't have the Mac version, it's possible for the Omni support people to help you construct this perspective, but it's a pain...

The iPad app is capable of showing the same default perspectives as the Mac app - they're just hidden to reduce confusion. (Having two items both named "Contexts" that did slightly different things, for example.)

In any case, iPad-only folks can enable a Completed view by using the "Enable built-in perspectives" link on this page.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Brian; 2012-02-28 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: using "default" twice in one sentence seems awkward.

oh wow! THANK YOU! that was super easy and gave me a great list by date. the only thing i would suggest on that is that it show the the project name as well.

currently it looks like this

task
subproject (or whatever term you use)

right now i only have two projects so i can tell from the subproject which it is, but once i get a lot more, it might be difficult.

task
project - subproject

that format would be great (as would being able to seeing completed by date by project).

but as it stands now, i'm pretty darn happy. thanks again!

The link above did not work for me (PC based).

I have an iPhone (and soon iPad3) but no Mac....I really could use the other perspectives on these standalone devices in order to have the similar feature sets available on TodoMatrix, etc.

You have to click on the link from your iPhone or iPad. It passes an argument to OmniFocus on the device on which you clicked the link, and doesn't work if you click it on some other computer.

Thanks whpalmer4, your advise worked.