The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Dropped Singletons: best practice Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to deal with dropped singletons in an elegant manner.

Problem:
  • You can't mark a singleton as "Dropped" since it's not a project.
  • Moving it to an inactive context doesn't work either.
  • Deleting the singleton will erase it from memory forever.

My current solution: I created a Singletons bucket and marked it Dropped. To drop an action, I move it to this project. (Unfortunately, this needs to be done with the Inspector since dropped projects are not displayed by default.)

Other solutions?

I was just about to post again on this very subject! I have a singleton action I realized I'm never going to do. If it were a project, I'd mark it as "Dropped". I can't do that with singletons.

To make matters worse, I can't simply give it a start date way in the future (as others have suggested here previously) because OF treats singletons as actions of a project, which means displaying "remaining" actions shows these "dropped-but-not-really-dropped" actions!

This has gotten silly. It's one of the biggest flaws in an otherwise strong application. I've relied on this alpha-recently-beta application for nearly six months, and it's the one piece that makes me consistently yell at my machine.

Please, OmniFolk, do something about this!

If you're never going to do a singleton, why not just delete it?

Or, if you want to be reminded later of your overambitious plans :-), you could convert it to a project and then mark it as dropped.

This is good feedback, but we won't have time to address this for 1.0.

If you'd like the ability to drop an action or group of actions, make sure to use Help > Send Feedback to let us know to work on it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
If you're never going to do a singleton, why not just delete it?

Or, if you want to be reminded later of your overambitious plans :-), you could convert it to a project and then mark it as dropped.
I'm not a big fan of deleting stuff. Every now and then I want to go through my Dropped projects and re-consider them.

Making them into projects and marking them as dropped is exactly what I'm doing now. It's an inelegant workaround, at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
This is good feedback, but we won't have time to address this for 1.0.

If you'd like the ability to drop an action or group of actions, make sure to use Help > Send Feedback to let us know to work on it in the future.
OG #205324, sent in 9/4/2007.

Considering the amount of discussion on this topic, I find it difficult to believe there aren't dozens of requests similar to these.

Jason, why not delete them (notwithstanding your objections to doing this!) if you're sure you'll never do them (you've missed the concert you were going to book tickets for, for example) or move them to a someday/maybe list if you think you might do them at some point in the future? I keep my someday/maybes as "on hold" projects in OF, but you could just use a text list in something like Yojimbo or the text editor of your choice. :)

For things that simply can't be done (the concert example, e.g.), I will just delete it. There's no possibility of doing it.

I just started using two new singleton buckets: a dropped single actions (marked as dropped) and an on hold single actions (marked as on hold). I use the inspector to move actions into these (since I can't change them in the list, tend to keep my sidebar closed and operate in Active Projects view mostly).

This is what I call a "skanky workaround". I'll probably toss together an AppleScript to make it slightly less skanky.

It'll do for now, and I hope enough people write in to Omni that this gets changed in the post 1.0 world.