The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-step actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the features of the iPhone OF app that I've been using more and more is the ability to create a multi-step action. I typically do this for tasks that are already part of a project that need more than one step, but don't merit becoming projects themselves.

I'm wondering if the actual creation of multi-step actions could be handled better for the iPhone client, as the current implementation is somewhat clunky.

Here's how to create a multi-step action today in the iPhone version of OF:
  1. Start by looking at the actions for a project. Identify an action that needs more than one step.
  2. Add this new action to the project (this new action is a peer to all the other actions in the project).
  3. Tap the new action to edit it
  4. Tap the little folder icon in the lower right to bring up the Move Action screen
  5. Under "Move Inside Another Item" select the parent action you wish to move this action into. This changes the parent action into a multi-step action
  6. Tap the back arrow in the upper left which brings you to the new multi-step action. You see one item in the list
  7. Add additional steps here if you want
  8. Tap the back arrow again to go back to the project view
  9. If you want to make the multi-step action sequential, tap Edit, then the multi-step action and change type from Parallel (the default) to Sequential
  10. Tap Back
  11. Tap Done

This is a lot of stuff to do to do what should be a simple process. I propose the following change to how multi-step actions are created.
  1. Again, start by looking at a project's actions
  2. Identify an action that needs more than one step
  3. Tap the action
  4. Tap the folder in the lower right
  5. In the Move Action screen, under "Convert to Project" there would be a NEW option to "Convert to Multi-Step Action"
  6. Tap this new option
  7. Specify whether the type is sequential or parallel
  8. Tap the back arrow to go back to the project

This seems more intuitive to me. Thoughts?

Why donīt you create a new project with all the according actions.
After that simply convert this project to a action and file it to the right place.
Thatīs it....