The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Purpose/intent of Inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At the risk of posing a very newbie-style question:

What is the purpose of the Inbox, and how could I best incorporate it into my workflow?

I was inspired to read David Allen's book after watching Ethan's screencasts, and now I have joyfully been invited to participate in the OmniFocus alpha testing. So I am daily learning more about improving my own work habits, but so far, I don't really get the Inbox.

So far, when I'm entering tasks, I always enter them directly into a specific project, or into a catch-all "Personal" project. Is there a better way?

I would love to hear your thoughts about how best to use the Inbox, and how you've incorporated it into your new workflow.

The inbox is for getting ideas that strike you into the system even if you don't have the time when the idea strikes to properly think it through and set it up. You don't use it during careful project-planning sessions, but rather when you are getting other things done and want to minimize interruptions, e.g.:

- you're in the middle of writing an essay and you realize you need to fetch a library book but you want to keep writing
- you're talking on the phone about business and suddenly remember you need new socks but you want to keep talking
- you're falling asleep and you have a vision that you could sell your car and buy a bus pass- all of which requires further thinking and breaking down into actions which you are too exhausted to do right now

Thanks, Craig, for the explanation and great examples. I guess this is what I've been using my catch-all "Personal" project for, but I see how using the Inbox would be more efficient, especially for using the quick entry screen.

But really - you should read the book.
Here's a crash course on GTD over @ Wikipedia

I rarely use the InBox, though I know others use it all the time.

Instead, OF lives open on my desktop. Usually when I think of an action to add, I know what project to put it in. So I click into OF, change to Project View, find the project, and add my item.

I find this quicker than remembering the QuickEntry keycode, adding my item there, then processing the InBox.

But I know from reading this forum, others love QE and the InBox. You have to find a way to work that's best for you.

--Liz