The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible to maintain two files? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recognizing I'm abusing OF somewhat at a philosophical level, I'm hoping that either (a) someone has figured out how to do the following or (b) said functionality could be added.

My situation: I currently use OF exclusively to keep track of the various research projects I'm working on. Works super for that.

One of my other roles is as an editor for a journal. I'd like to use OF to keep track of actions I need to take on each paper under review, e.g., "Bug reviewers about getting me the reviews on DATE", etc.

But, I don't want these two applications of OF intertwined. They have very different organizational logics. Also, I'm not using OF as a "What do I do next?" tool, but as a "Where am I on the various research projects I'm doing". I'd like to add "Where am I on my various editorial tasks?" also, but checking where I am on research and where I am on editorial stuff are two separate actions. Ideally, I'd have one OF file for my editorial stuff and one for my research stuff. Doesn't seem to currently be easily possible. I understand why not, but still hope it's possible.

So, is there any way to have two separate OF "files"?

I just use two main folders at the top of my hierarchy to separate my two main area's.

I keep all my projects and actions inside these folders. The folders allow you to FOCUS on just the one side of your life you want to work in. Perspectives give you a quick way to selective pick which of these area's you want to work in, but they also allow you to select both and see the big picture if you need it.

The short answer is yes. Here's one thread that mentions it, and there are no doubt others if you do a forum search on "separate databases."