The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Omniweb 5.7 SPs/Beta Maxing out CPU Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In my case, YouTube videos that boost Safari 3.1's CPU usage to 40-50% boost OmniWeb 5.7's to 100%. I can watch a five-minute video at 50%, but not 100%.
 
Here with OmniWeb 5.7 final I also find OW to be a CPU hog. A simple search for one word on Wikipedia went up to 90% CPU usage for several seconds.

Doing the same search with Safari 3.1.1 maxed out at 39%. OW used to be zippier than Safari for a long time, but for now Safari 3.1 feels faster and leaves the whole system more responsive...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglborps View Post
Here with OmniWeb 5.7 final I also find OW to be a CPU hog. A simple search for one word on Wikipedia went up to 90% CPU usage for several seconds.

Doing the same search with Safari 3.1.1 maxed out at 39%. OW used to be zippier than Safari for a long time, but for now Safari 3.1 feels faster and leaves the whole system more responsive...
That's not really a fair comparison. OW does a lot more than Safari, so of course it'll use up more CPU when initially loading a page. Checking site prefs, adblocking...
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
That's not really a fair comparison. OW does a lot more than Safari, so of course it'll use up more CPU when initially loading a page. Checking site prefs, adblocking...
I wouldn't say that, considering that I have SafariBlock, SafariTidy and SafariStand installed. So Safari, too is blocking ads, validating the HTML and also creating screenshots of the current page for the awesome CoverFlow history feature...

Still 39% to 90% just doesn't rectify the little more OmniWeb is nowadays doing compared to a pimped Safari.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebacon View Post
I can verify - the same thing happens for me, I've got, say, 3 tabs open that I'm browsing with and it still consistently maxes out 99-100% 4 2.66GHZ CORE 2 DUOS!!
This has happened to me on occasion, but I can always trace it back to a site whose Flash app is apparently still running, even though I've closed its tab. Restarting OmniWeb puts CPU utilization back to 0%.
 
The problem im getting is not high CPU (50 -60), but that Omniweb will go to 100% of the CPU and stay there. It wont go back down without quitting. Closing a window wont help.

I have taken a sample, if that helps, and am trying to pinpoint a certain website, but so far have not been able to.
 
Send the sample in using Send Feedback... from the help menu. They should be able to give you an idea what's going on.
 
One possible explanation for stuff like this - in order to make your back button faster, we keep some number (5? 10?) of pages in memory, even if you're not looking at them right now. This avoids needing to fetch everything again from the network when you hit the back button.

This would include pages that use Flash. So if you just looked at a bunch of YouTube videos in a row, several of them are still kicking around in memory, in case you hit the back button and want to watch them again...

I'm not going to claim that this is the entire explanation of what folks are seeing, but it is likely a contributing factor.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-05-22 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: I suck at typing.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post
The problem im getting is not high CPU (50 -60), but that Omniweb will go to 100% of the CPU and stay there. It wont go back down without quitting. Closing a window wont help.

I have taken a sample, if that helps, and am trying to pinpoint a certain website, but so far have not been able to.
If closing the window didn't free up the memory, I'm less sure of what's going on. I think that the OS X memory system only frees up memory when another application asks for it. So if we're using half of your memory, we'll hang onto that half until something asks us to free it up.

However, I'm quickly getting out of my depth here, so should shut up and let someone more qualified respond. :)

Last edited by Brian; 2008-05-22 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: 'when another machine asks for it' makes no sense.
 
OW is also running over 90% CPU for me also. It happens right after I load any page, even from a freshly restarted browser.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OmniWeb 5.5.1 Beta 1 Now available! troyb OmniWeb General 17 2006-10-28 06:40 PM
OmniWeb 5.5 beta 3 now available! troyb OmniWeb General 13 2006-08-16 05:02 AM
OmniWeb 5.5 beta 2 now available. troyb OmniWeb General 0 2006-07-28 02:57 PM
OmniWeb 5.5 Beta 1 now available. troyb OmniWeb General 0 2006-07-20 09:12 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.