The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Export requirements Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's good news that, while not in 1.0, export features are in the plan for a future release.

Here's a summary of the email I sent into the support team for my requirements.

I thought I'd put forward my requirements for export functionality within OmniPlan for iPad as I think you'll have at least two separate users of the product. There is the obvious 'project manager' role that you've depicted within your launch video's etc, and will want export to MS Project I'd suspect. However, I bought the app for another reason - creating realistic plans for input into presentations, along with indicative project costs and resource estimates.

My role is selling consultancy for an IT corporation, so write a great deal of presentations to send to customers. The proposal will be about what we're going to do, how long it'll take and what it's going to cost. Today, I do this mainly in Excel and Word, but your app would be perfect for taking this to a more detailed level and simpler for me. I could create a high* level project plan (*I'd never use this as a detailed plan tool), assign resources to various phases that I've already costed/priced, and include these in my proposals.

Export: I'm looking for options that will allow me to embed the Gantt Chart, the Resource Plan and Project Costs into a proposal.
  • Gantt chart - GIFs/JPEGs seem logical and maybe PDF but I wouldn't use this personally.
  • Resource Plan & Project Costs - tabular txt, Excel, Word, CSV, RTF would be good options - An image would be OK if I could pick what 'columns' go into the image as an image is un-editable, i.e. I might not want to send my costs to a customer, but I would my manage. I'd want the ability to be able to edit these outputs manually in order to customise it.

Themes: This is something I'd actually like for the product in general. Instead of having options to customise each bar individually, I'd like to be able to select from a number of themes, and have the whole plan update. Obviously, I'm using this for presentation purposes rather than to get-a-project-done, so my needs are different from a PM. These themes would need to extend to the export output too, so for example my resource table would export with the same colour/font/size formatting of my theme.

Printing: I don't really see a need to print for me as I'm incorporating this into a Word doc or email, but I'm sure others will.

Looking forward to seeing if these are acheivable.