The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Splash Screen - really necessary? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
An option in the preferences to disable it might be nice. but that's just a thought.. not really necessary

Last edited by vinceleers; 2006-07-23 at 12:38 PM..

i wonder if there is a way that just deleting the image from the package would do the job

I don't think this would be a good solution vandelim,
because the image-load action would end up with an error,
which can never be good. Isn't it?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelim
i wonder if there is a way that just deleting the image from the package would do the job
best way to disable it is probably to replace the splash image with a 1x1 pixel image.

The splash screen has got to go. I'm surprised OG keeps it in. It's tacky and gives OW a dated feel.

Yeah I agree most apps that use a splash screen do feel dated. I for one have big expectations for version 6 and I'm confident Omnigroup won't let us down.

When OmniWeb 5 was first released splash screens were a lot more common. The main reason for using them was due to slow launch times (they tell the user there is something going on). OmniWeb starts up a lot quicker on modern hardware so there's a good chance we'll be removing it in a future release.

Hi I have been moaning about the splash screen for ages I have no idea why they have not done something as it obviously annoys a fair number of people! Anyway to be more serious it does not bother me much now because I have found a way to avoid seeing the thing when I login onto my iMac running OSX 10.5.4.

1. In System Preferences set Omniweb as one of your account login items and tick the box to hide it when you login

2. In Omniweb's Preferences under Tab & Window Preferences make sure there is no tick against 'Present a window when Omniweb starts'

When your desktop appears after you log in you should see a spot under the Omniweb icon in the Dock indicating it has started. When you then click the icon to launch you should get no splash screen just the browser window.

Hopes this helps ....

pb

FWIW, a lot of Apple software takes a while to launch on my old Mac, and they have no splash. I'm just getting a little tired of splash graphics in general.

maybe there is a hidden pref to disable this?