The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Choosing an action based on the energy available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Folks,

I am working with Omnifocus for 1 year and I read David Allen's book, etc. so I am deeply involved in GTD and I try to do it as best as I can.
My concern is the following: how can I choose an action based on the energy available? Where can I put this in omnifocus.
For instance if I have an easy action, taking few energy, how can I put this on omnifocus so that I can choose consciously, with the energy available, when I will have to work?

Thanks,

Margaux

You could use contexts to denote energy levels. Variations in wording might be as simple as "low" to "high" or as complicated as "no brainer" to "concentrated effort".

Alternatively, you could use the time duration field to input a measure of energy needed. This would allow fine grain control (minutes to hours to days to weeks to years) and would leave your contexts undisturbed.

--
JJW

Hi DrJJWMac,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, really appreciate. I already use the context for where I am or was tool is available (such as mac, home, errands, phone, etc.). When you mean by context do you mean another context or a context within these contexts?
I also use the estimation time for time but a 10 minutes action could take a lot of energy and a 1hour could take less energy (watching a video for example).
I assume Omnifocus has no specific tool for that?

Thanks again,

Margaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by margauxintegrale View Post
... I already use the context for where I am or was tool is available (such as mac, home, errands, phone, etc.). When you mean by context do you mean another context or a context within these contexts?
At one point, I had contexts for location, tool, output/energy, and people in a format by example below.

@
- home
- work
- errands

- computer
- phone
- iPod

- fish
- cook
- eat
- play

- someone
- colleague
- family

The symbols ✄, ☀, and ☞ can be found under the Edit : Special Characters menu option. They served as top level to the sub-contexts that follow.

FWIW, my current context list has completed eliminated the output/energy group and uses only location, tool, and people contexts. My processing has been better when my tasks are filtered by due date and/or (location / tool / people) context. These are invariant parameters for a given task, whereas my energy or focus level can usually be set beforehand by an appropriate amount of coffee, exercise, de-stress time, music, jellybeans, ...

Quote:
I also use the estimation time for time ...
I assume Omnifocus has no specific tool for that? (energy)
Unfortunately, OF has no other methods that I know to prioritize or tag tasks by energy needed.

--
JJW

Dear JJW,

Thanks, this is very helpful. Could you send me a screenshot so that I can physically see what you set up?

Thanks again,

Margaux

Actually, I do have a set of contexts that could be substituted with "energy" related contexts. They are non-location or tool specific. A screenshot of my context panel would show something like this ...

- bills
- evaluating
- reading
- planning

- computer
- iPod
- internet
- phone
@
- desk
- office
- house
- errands

- spouse
- family
- colleague
- someone

The symbols are the top-level contexts. The - signs show sub-contexts. So, the top-level @ context has four sub-contexts (desk, office, house, and errands).

--
JJW

Dear JJW,

Thank you so much! This is great value!
I am afraid I will have to put many contexts on the same action :)
Do you know how to suggest evolutions of omnifocus so that they will create a specific tool for that?
Thanks again, really appreciate you sharing,

Margaux

Quote:
]
I am afraid I will have to put many contexts on the same action :)
Do you know how to suggest evolutions of omnifocus so that they will create a specific tool for that?
The desire to have multiple contexts on an action is a topic of ongoing discussion throughout various threads in this forum. You can send a feature request to omnigroup via email.

--
JJW