The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

daily repeating work task showing due on the weekend Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The problem with that is that you have to be sure to do every single item or none of them repeat...

exactly... also I have all sorts of list of repeating things. some for work, some for home, weekends. then as i change and update them it becomes quite laborious. Granted, it's mostly because I'm hopelessly ADD and forget to blink if I don't write it down, but still, it would be nice if it were a bit easier to do things like this. I sent off feedback to this effect, but if you are listening here Omni, please help a poor guy out ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The problem with that is that you have to be sure to do every single item or none of them repeat...
True... but once you've got five copies made of the sets (SILs or parent tasks), you can select all the individual tasks under each one and set them to the same repeat pattern in the inspector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
True... but once you've got five copies made of the sets (SILs or parent tasks), you can select all the individual tasks under each one and set them to the same repeat pattern in the inspector.
No, you misunderstood me. If you set it up as a parent task that repeats, the parent task won't repeat until each and every child has been ticked off as completed. Forget to do one little thing on Monday (or forget to mark Monday's project or parent action as complete if you didn't set it to do that automatically), and next Monday you don't get your tasks/reminders for anything...

Safe:

Monday tasks (with start date set to hide until Monday)
repeating task #1
repeating task #2
repeating task #3 (all set to individually repeat weekly)

Tuesday tasks (with start date set to hide until Tuesday)
repeating task #1
repeating task #2
repeating task #3 (all set to individually repeat weekly)

or

Daily tasks
repeating task #1 (Monday) (all set to repeat weekly, with start date to hide until Monday)
repeating task #2 (Monday)
repeating task #3 (Monday)
repeating task #1 (Tuesday)(all set to repeat weekly, with start date to hide until Tuesday)
repeating task #2 (Tuesday)
repeating task #3 (Tuesday)

Dangerous:

Monday tasks (set to repeat weekly, with start date to hide until Monday)
task #1
task #2
task #3

Tuesday tasks (set to repeat weekly, with start date to hide until Tuesday)
task #1
task #2
task #3

Almost certainly doomed to failure:

most combinations of both repeating tasks and projects

Quote:
No, you misunderstood me. If you set it up as a parent task that repeats, the parent task won't repeat until each and every child has been ticked off as completed. Forget to do one little thing on Monday (or forget to mark Monday's project or parent action as complete if you didn't set it to do that automatically), and next Monday you don't get your tasks/reminders for anything...
Right... I think I didn't make it clear that I was modifying my original suggestion.

Come to think of it, if we don't want to see work tasks on the weekend, shouldn't we be working from a different context anyway? That way there's no problem if Monday's work tasks actually show up on Saturday and sit undone for a couple of days. Have them set to "start again" (say) 18 hours after completion rather than to "repeat" daily, of course, so you don't find them waiting for you in triplicate on Monday morning.

For some people, "work" work might only be done in contexts not encountered on the weekend, but I'm not one of them, and I don't think I'm particularly unusual in this regard. And why the assumption that weekday-only tasks are associated with work? Most of my weekday-only stuff is related to my son's schooling. I will admit that getting him to do his homework is sometimes as difficult as anything done at work :-)

Quote:
For some people, "work" work might only be done in contexts not encountered on the weekend, but I'm not one of them, and I don't think I'm particularly unusual in this regard. And why the assumption that weekday-only tasks are associated with work? Most of my weekday-only stuff is related to my son's schooling. I will admit that getting him to do his homework is sometimes as difficult as anything done at work :-)
Not sure I see the problem, since you can define your contexts any way you want. "Work" is just an example; there's no reason you can't create a context called "@Homework" or "@Weekdays" or whatever.