The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waiting (On Hold) Context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Everyone . . . new forum user here . . . been using OF for a while now . . . really like it, but I have one question.

I like to use a Waiting context, which I set to On Hold. I would like to view the actions I am waiting for, if they are a next action, in the context view. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to do this is to set the context preferences to remaining . . . which means all of my contexts show remaining actions. How do I get around this? I like to the use the on hold function for my Waiting context, but then, I can never see the actions in the context view. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Mike

That's an interesting way of doing it, and it makes a great deal of sense.

I don't think there is a way of doing what it is you are wanting.

To rephrase:
you want to set a context status to on hold
you want to view your contexts using active and not remaining filter?
and you want the on hold context to be visible while filtering contexts by active.

I can tell you how I work with waiting for.
I have a waiting for context set to Active
I have my context filter set to Active
I have my Show Actions With Status filter set to Active

When I have a waiting for item, I give it a start date in the future.
In the context view, the waiting for context does not appear because the action that is in that context is in the future.
When the action becomes available, the waiting for context appears.
I then process actions in the waiting for context, completing or moving the start date into the future.

If I need to see all waiting for actions.
I change the Show Actions With Status filter to remaining. I can then see all the actions in the waiting for.

I like the idea of having the waiting for context on hold. Maybe I'll fool around with that.

I just made a perspective that selects the Waiting context and shows all remaining actions. Works for me.

I do find that I'm increasingly unsatisfied with "Waiting." I tend to overlook it as a "Ball's in the other court" context. I'm switching to an "Assigned to [Person]" context (which takes the place of agendae contexts) so that it becomes a laundry list of things to talk to [person] about.

gong fong wong dong manongong!