The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad v1.4 has been approved! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
also, i see apple split out the to do's from the calendar into a separate app. any plans to tie into that instead of the calendar?

Pretty sure the ability to see due soon items in the notification center is a new request - I'll make sure that gets into the development database so we can consider it. Thanks!

I don't remember hearing of any plans to tie into the Reminders app - though if you've got ideas about how you'd like to use them together, we're happy to file requests on that too!

Whoops, forgot to mention that past due items should essentially end up showing there as it is. OmniFocus adds the items to the notification center when the deadline arrives, so by the time you see them, they're overdue. :-)

yep, now see the past due items. thanks for adding soon to be due items to the request list. not sure yet how to use the Reminders app yet. just playing with ideas on consolidation of lists. thanks for responding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgecko View Post
also, i see apple split out the to do's from the calendar into a separate app. any plans to tie into that instead of the calendar?
whats the difference between a to-do and what Omnifocus offers already? Personally, I think that is redundant, but am interested in other thoughts.

you are correct brad. but in my case I have separated my personal and professional gtd lives into separate programs (apps). I love my omni focus, but it is not always the right tool for every situation. rather than going to two or three programs to see what I need to do for the day, could I use the new Reminders app at that daily list? or so that was the question I posed to myself.

I love that my past due events show up in the notifications drop down list. and am considering reworking my deadline times to an earlier time so I can see them coming, as opposed to a time they are due. but they don't stay in the list (they pop in at the scheduled time, but don't stay as part of the list). so for now, that doesn't work for me too.

yes, redundant, but if I could see all my deadlines (and to do's) in one place, it would be better re-use of the information I've input already. that's why I was asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgecko View Post
I love that my past due events show up in the notifications drop down list. and am considering reworking my deadline times to an earlier time so I can see them coming, as opposed to a time they are due. but they don't stay in the list (they pop in at the scheduled time, but don't stay as part of the list). so for now, that doesn't work for me too.
My personal philosophy was to always set the due date at least 2 days before the actual due date. I'd rather turn in something early instead of trying to burn the midnight oil, sweating like a pig, and trying to hustle to finish a project. I treat the early due date as the real due date and stick with it. Once you start slacking off and know that you still have two additional days, you lose the effectiveness of setting early due dates.

I've heard of people who say "they work better under pressure." I always think they're just making excuses for procrastinating. I can only imagine their next doctor visit and looking at their blood pressure reading because of missed deadlines or down-to-the-wire deadlines.

Personally I'm gonna ignore the iOS 5 built-in To-Do list. That's one more bucket to look at. I concentrate all my tasks into OmniFocus. At least I know everything is in there I'll trust. If I start using the iOS 5 Reminders, I'll also have to check over there for tasks. Did I save Task X in OmniFocus or did I save it in Reminders? Too much headache for me to worry about.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2011-10-15 at 11:00 PM..

People who are familiar/comfortable with OF have no need for apples reminder app. OFs inbox does everything reminder can do and then a lot. Location based reminders are in OF so no value added by that new app.

But hey, despite it being rather rudimentary it is still better than Things...cloud sync, anybody?

EDIT: thinking of it...how about making it so that due soon and overdue items stay in the notification center (ideally you could switch that option on and off) until marked as done (in contrary to when they are being viewed, like it is now)? That would make managing important tasks even easier!

Last edited by Christian; 2011-10-15 at 11:34 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Location-based reminders do work on iPad 2 3G models. But it has to be turned on first in settings. It's located under Sounds & Alerts. This was done for those that use both the iPhone and iPad clients to avoid having both devices giving alerts. Sorry we didn't document that.
I am having trouble getting this to work, I have locations reminders on and it shows the purple arrow that OmniFocus is tracking me under Location Services in iPad 2 preferences. I figured out finally a few days ago that Location Reminders in OmniFocus Settings had to be turned on (I thought you were talking about iPad Sound preferences at first mentioned above).

Do I have to be connected to 3G? I have a Verizon iPad 2 but don't use a data plan, the 3G models are the only ones that have GPS in it so that is why I got it. I plug into a power source in my car every time I drive.

I read through this article but not sure if I have to be on a data plan and if so why I can't just use GPS since it is tracking my location and showing me on the map.

http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/..._in_omnifocus/

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by skillet; 2011-11-17 at 05:12 PM..

What part are you stuck on? Getting the alerts set up for contexts? Or do you have them configured but you can't get the alerts to appear? It does work without a data plan.