The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Custom number format (newbie alert!) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all!

I'm sure this is a silly question, but i use OO 3.6 (the one that comes with them Mac) for keeping a list of numbers with dates and descriptions.
My descriptions are of course plain text, the dates are in a custom date format that i can choose myself (%d-%m-%y) but regarding the number format i only can choose from 6 options. And of course none of them suit my needs. I would like to have my number format like xxxx.xxxx where everything behind the . are decimals and everything before the . need to be one number without any thousands separator or anything like that.

How can i achieve that?

Thanks,

Ton.

Hi Ton-

Unfortunately you can't do that using a number column type. I've put in a request for customizable number formats.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

What you can do is:
  1. turn off "Compress on disk" in the "Document (Command-4) : Advanced" inspector.
  2. save the document (Command-S) and close it (Command-W)
  3. open the document in a text editor (like TextEdit.app)
  4. find the number formatter definition
    Code:
    <formatter type="number">0.00;0.00;-0.00</formatter>
  5. change it as you would like
    Code:
    <formatter type="number">0.000000;0.000000;-0.000000</formatter>
  6. reopen the file in outliner and it will now have a custom formatter
  7. turn "Compress on disk" back on

For more information about the acceptable number formats see here.

Everything perfect! Thanks for all. Also i have a good insight in the oo3 file format.

thanks for all,

Ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
What you can do is:
  1. turn off "Compress on disk" in the "Document (Command-4) : Advanced" inspector.
  2. save the document (Command-S) and close it (Command-W)
  3. open the document in a text editor (like TextEdit.app)
  4. find the number formatter definition
    Code:
    <formatter type="number">0.00;0.00;-0.00</formatter>
  5. change it as you would like
    Code:
    <formatter type="number">0.000000;0.000000;-0.000000</formatter>
  6. reopen the file in outliner and it will now have a custom formatter
  7. turn "Compress on disk" back on

For more information about the acceptable number formats see here.

WOW!!! Thanks for the reply! I cannot try this in the next two days because i'll be away from my PC, but i will certainly try on friday and let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks!!

Ton.

Last edited by Toontje; 2006-09-03 at 07:00 AM..