The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weekly task lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For work, I project out what tasks will be completed on a weekly (Thurs - Thurs) basis. At the end of each Thur, I need to report on what I thought I would get done vs what I actually got done. I also need to be able to add additional tasks that come up during the week that have to be addressed and these need to be included in the same report.

What I was doing was flagging all tasks that are designated for this week and any that came up. Then at the end of the week I would look at all flagged items. Report those that are complete and then show the others at "delayed". This works except that when looking at a context that only shows flagged items, I miss any items that I entered before with a start date, such as follow-up tasks. Plus this seems like an "inappropriate" use of flagging.

How would you approach this problem? Thanks.

I'd get a new job :-)

I think this might be a good use for the ability to copy OmniFocus actions and projects as links. If you select a row, Edit->Copy As Link (or right-click and choose from popup menu) will copy the row as a link that can be pasted into another document, with the name of the action as the title. When the link is clicked, OmniFocus will open (even if it wasn't running) and you'll be given a window with that item selected.

Armed with that, you construct your list in TextEdit, OmniOutliner, or whatever. When you need to refer to the OmniFocus details (to check something off as completed, review the notes, etc.) you can just click the link. You can organize the document as you wish without perturbing any of your contexts, flags, due dates and so on.

Thank you. That is a great idea (the solution, not the get a new job :) ). I will give that a try.

You asked me how I would handle it. I didn't say you had to do it my way :-)