The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems Syncing to a Thumb Drive Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been attempting to sync three copies of my Omnifocus.ofocus file (home, work, and laptop) to a copy of Omnifocus.ofocus housed on a secure disk image stored on a thumb drive. However, there is a problem.

I mount the image, point the sync preferences to it and sync, and everything works fine. That is, until I unmount the image, go away, come back again,and attempt to sync. The local file is still syncing, but to a local copy located in /Volumes/Name of Disk Image/Folder Name/ rather than the actual mounted disk image.

I reset the sync preferences so that it attempted to sync using my mounted disk image, which it now refered to as /Volumes/Name of Disk Image 1/Folder Name/ but I got the "versions...are no longer compatible" error. I told it to use the server's copy, and that worked, temporarily, but now I have /Volumes/Name of Disk Image/ and /Volumes/Name of Disk Image 1/, each containing the folder that contains the .ofocus file, the file itself and none of the other content contained on my disk image.

Currently, OF thinks my mounted disk is /Volumes/Name of Disk Image 2/, and is once again informing me that the "versions...are no longer compatible." Is there a way to work around this? What I want is for sync to fail if the thumb drive is not mounted. Would I help if I turned off autosyncing and only manually synced when the drive is mounted?

Thanks,
Rebecca

What you need is an interlock to keep you from syncing when the data file isn't mounted. Here's an easy one: install OmniFocus on the USB drive rather than in the Applications folder.