The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Task not continuous- how to track? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Good day-

I've looked at a few different types of these programs and am needing something to schedule out our design projects. I have gone through the videos and downloaded the trial, but I am not sure how to account for some aspects of the work that we do.

Most of these programs seem to assume that a single task is going to be done from start to finish in a single session- so a 6 hour task will be about 3/4 of a day, or a 14 hour task is 1 day and 6 hours- all continuous- in other words, the program assumes that you are doing nothing else for that time period.

The reality of our small office means, however, that I am RARELY working on a single task from start to finish. a 6 hour task might get interrupted, or I may have another client meeting for another project in the middle of that task that takes 2 hours, then I go back to the task I started earlier.

So, while a task may take multiple days to complete, that ACTUAL number of hours may be less than the 8 hour day- but there is still office work being done.

One thought may be to "break the task into smaller items"- but that really isn't an option for the work we do- some of these task just take several hours to complete. I could break the task into multiple, adjacent and identical tasks of different times maybe.

I supposed I could go in and manipulate the work work to show only the hours I worked on the project, but that seems overly- complicated.

I wanted to see if this concept had been thought through. Or perhaps there is some other sort of program that I need to be looking at to handle this? Surely this concept has been addressed before now?

Thanks in advance!