The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb and proxy settings Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
By default OW uses Mac OS X system settings for proxy. How can OW be unwelded from the system settings a la Camino's hidden prefs user.js file?

Unfortunately OmniWeb will only use the system proxy settings.

At my university I have to connect to a proxy server with authentication to get access to the internet.

The situation is now that I have wireless access to internet at home without a proxy. When I go to univerity I just put my MacBook to sleep and open it up in the university. OmniWeb is open all the time. Being at the university I change the proxy settings in network pref pane. And then try to browse with OW. But OW can't load the website. It seems to be that OW does not recognize that now a proxy setting is active.

Is there a workaround for this situation or do I have always restart OW?

Cheers,

Tiggar

I believe that the restart is necessary right now, we do however have a bug on this issue.

@Tiggar
For that situation it would be nice to have switchproxy from Firefox that would let you click on a status bar icon to switch between University and Home settings.

For me its the same thing: I sometimes like to browse via privoxy (a highly customizable filter I've been using for years). But other times you want all the bells & whistles. You are forced to have all other connections (Dashboard widgets, Software Update, etc) using the proxy when you don't need them to. And using the network pref pane is a pain.

Omni should make OW allowed to be severable from the system settings, at least down in the bowels of plists.