The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Google Instant in OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Earlier today, after reading about Google Instant search, I decided I wanted to try it myself and form my own opinion.

I found the same old Google in OmniWeb 10.5.2 ... and Safari 5.0.1 ... and Firefox 4.0b4. I even bit the bullet and finally downloaded Chrome 6.0.472.55. No Instant Search anywhere.

Now in the late evening, I see it's working in Firefox 4.0b4, Firefox 3.6.8 and Chrome 6.0.472.55. Still nothing in Safari 5.0.1; perhaps that will change when I'm willing the take the time to restart and get the update to 5.0.2.

Google Instant is still shunning OmniWeb 5.10.2, whether it identifies itself as OmniWeb or spoofs as Firefox 3.0.1 (Mac) or Safari 5.0.

Is there anything OmniWeb users or Omni developers can do to get OmniWeb blessed by Google Instant?

Although I'd like to experience Google Instant for real life searching, I'm unwilling to leave OmniWeb to just to play with this new shiny gizmo.

-- Ward

Last edited by Ward; 2010-09-08 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: fix typo

It seems to be working for me at www.google.com without any spoofing. I just start typing into the search field, and it jumps up to the top and starts showing results and suggested completions. (I assume that's what's supposed to be new about it?)

Something magical happened in the last hour!

I just opened a new Google window to do a real search, and Google Instant appeared before my very eyes ... and it's OmniWeb 10.5.2 with no spoofing.

Oh happy day!

-- Ward

P.S. Ken beat me by a fraction of a minute.

Last edited by Ward; 2010-09-08 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: add P.S.

I auto-updated from the latest OmniWeb 10.5.2 sneaky peek to the formal 10.5.2 ... and Google Instant Search disappeared. (I also lost a couple of Search Settings, but that's a chronic problem.)

Spoofing as Safari 5.0 (533.16) restores Instant Search. Puzzling, but still another win for OmniWeb.

-- Ward

Has anyone else noticed some tweakiness when entering a search, and hitting return fairly quickly afterwards? It clears out the new search and re-loads the previous search.

Some of the searches also say "hit enter to search," and when you do that (or hit the search button), it still brings up the previous search - not the item that was just searched for.

This has been driving me batty for a few weeks - is it OW?
-Craig

I get this in all browsers with Google Instant, Craig. (And search text + enter is so ingrained in my brain that I had to turn Instant off for good.)