The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

figuring out which perspective a window is using Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I may be missing something simple, but...

I would like to have several omnifocus windows open all the time, for different perspectives I want to reference. However, it is tough to see which window has which perspective without constantly reviewing all of the top preference bars in each window. Is there anywhere obvious in the window where it says what perspective a window currently is using, if any?

Thanks!

If you customize the toolbar, you can add buttons for your perspectives there, the perspective in use will be marked on those very nicely.

Looks good too.

I would suggest using the Perspectives window to change the icons for your perspectives as well, makes it much easier to tell which is which.

I use 6 perspectives at the moment and this is what it looks like:
http://img.skitch.com/20080708-x4w9r...9ien3hxwwt.jpg

As you can see, the one on the right is in use, the one with the green icon.

By the way, all these icons are from the Buuf and Buuf Deuce sets by Mattahan available at http://mattahan.deviantart.com/gallery/#Icons

Had to mention where I got them from, since showing off something I didn't make seems a bit wrong, so at least I gave him some props.

Not only does the current perspective's toolbar button appear pressed, but the name of the perspective appears in the title bar.

Here's a screenshot of my "Home" perspective using the default grayscale icons (which I really like). The striping on my title bar is because I'm running a sneakypeak alpha build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	564

-Dennis

PS - Am I the only one who thinks comparing toolbars is kind of fun?

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-07 at 11:24 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
PS - Am I the only one who thinks comparing toolbars is kind of fun?
Nope, I enjoy it as well.

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks comparing toolbars is kind of fun?
Definitely not. Here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	565

The first few are standard. The purple question mark is my Verify Next Actions script. The gray-scale icons are all perspectives, in order:
  • Active project review (active projects grouped by due date)
  • Ticklers (starting today and tomorrow)
  • Default planning view (all active projects)
  • Default context view (all available actions by context)
  • Urgent (actions due soon)
  • Important (flagged next actions)
  • Errands
  • Work
  • Home

The last three before the search bar are Dan Byler's Defer script, Mark Reviewed, and Sync with Server (lovin' that Sneaky Peek goodness).

Curt

so I have opened up my perspectives window and nothing is there. If I want to work with perspectives that came with OF (use the icons you're talking about etc) is there a way to do that? For example, I want an icon for the "due items" default perspective. But I can't find a way to do that. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
If I want to work with perspectives that came with OF (use the icons you're talking about etc) is there a way to do that? For example, I want an icon for the "due items" default perspective. But I can't find a way to do that. . .
That's actually a very good question. I don't think there's currently a way to add the default perspectives to the toolbar; they're only available from the Perspectives menu.

However, you could activate one of those default perspectives and then select Perspectives -> Save Window as New Perspective to create your own variation of it. The new perspective will then show up in your Perspectives window, where you can set its icon and a few other options. Then just go to View -> Customize Toolbar (or right-click on the toolbar) and drag your new perspective icon up to the toolbar.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
The gray-scale icons are all perspectives, in order:
  • Ticklers (starting today and tomorrow)
Is that a little feather? Where did you find that nice tickler icon? It doesn't seem to be in the default collection.

Quote:
  • Default planning view (all active projects)
  • Default context view (all available actions by context)
I do the same thing to preserve my personal "default" perspective. Out of curiosity, is there some reason you chose to use two perspectives, with two toolbar buttons (one for planning mode and one for context mode), instead of having a single perspective with the "Also restore settings for other mode" option enabled?

-Dennis

Quote:
Is that a little feather? Where did you find that nice tickler icon? It doesn't seem to be in the default collection.
I found a feather gif here--apparently an old Photoshop icon. I used some of the new Preview.app features to convert it to an appropriately sized gray-scale image. (Specifically: crop; Select button -> instant alpha; and Tools menu -> Adjust Colors, saturation and sharpness settings.) I thought about posting my derivative, but I don't want to misappropriate and share someone else's design work. Not being a designer myself, I don't know the conventions for appropriate appropriation.

Quote:
I do the same thing to preserve my personal "default" perspective. Out of curiosity, is there some reason you chose to use two perspectives, with two toolbar buttons (one for planning mode and one for context mode), instead of having a single perspective with the "Also restore settings for other mode" option enabled?
Just so I have a single-click way to get to my default planning or context mode, rather than opening the perspective and then changing to the other mode.

Curt

Quote:
I thought about posting my derivative, but I don't want to misappropriate and share someone else's design work.
Perfectly understandable. However, I may do the same thing you did. :)

Quote:
Just so I have a single-click way to get to my default planning or context mode, rather than opening the perspective and then changing to the other mode.
Ah, I see. That makes good sense too. Thanks for the response.

-Dennis