The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New "one window mode" is not what I want Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Since the forums started (and long before that too), it seems to me that there have been a fairly significant number of requests for new windows not to be created when clicking links - how many threads have there been where target="_blank" has come up? That isn't to say that there haven't been lots on performance issues either, but...
The CPU issues started with 5.5. So as far as requests go, I'm starting my tracking there. Also, much of the discussion over target="_blank" was because of a 5.5 bug in how that was handled until 5.5.2 b1. A lot of the requests for single window mode stemmed from that. So lumping together all threads regarding target="_blank" isn't very accurate.

But if you really want to lump in all discussion of target="_blank" into one pile, then I get to lump all performance issues mentioned - from the mailing list too - into this ;)

The new features described here sound perfect. Thanks. .-)

OK, I really don't understand why anyone would use the new 5.5.2b3 "Links that create a new window" option.

Instead of just forcing target=_blank into a new tab, it forces pop-up windows into a new tab. What good is that?

The other options, like "links to other sites" at least force most (if not all) target blank links (which are mostly to other sites) in the same window. But the new checkbox, IMO, adds nothing to the game.

You can still use the links to other sites option to force target="_blank" into a new tab if you prefer that. The reason we added the checkbox is because there are people looking to force all pop-ups into new tabs not just target blank but _everything_.

I understand what you're looking for though. Sorry we haven't been able to get it quite right for you just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
You sure about that? Or do you mean that's the plan? [SNIP] It also removes the status bar, location bar, nav bar... for all of the other tabs in that window.

Forrest, my apologies, we did introduce a bug that caused new windows that got forced into tabs to resize the window. They were bypassing our rules for this but the problem should now be corrected.

We've also added some rules for re-ording windows when opening in tabs.

Last edited by troyb; 2006-12-15 at 08:13 AM..

I'm using the new beta 3 and I have to say I think you got it right!!!

The only options I'm using are:

Links from other apps & Links to other sites = Open in new tab.

I would say 95% of my websites are working great like this and I can't say thanks enough.

I've not tried the new checkbox yet for the option:
Links that create a new window.

What would this do compared to how I have it setup right now?

thanks again dev team!

It forces links that create new windows to open as new tabs instead. So basically in your configuration it would also force link pop-ups and such that come from the same site to open as tabs as well.

It's still very broken.

target blank links STILL pop a new window:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ZINNI

Click the "NRCS" logo at the top right. I have my prefs set to open links to other sites in the same window -- but this opens a new window!!

True, if I check the box I get the link in a new tab -- but then all my pop-up javascript windows get sent to a new tab! For example, try:

http://copyranter.blogspot.com/

And click on one of the "comments" links for a blog entry. You're supposed to get a small scrolling popup window, but with the checkbox checked it goes into a new tab and looks all wrong.

It may be hard to code, but I think it's simple in practice. To see an example, get Safari and install Safari Stand (I think Saft does this too).

Check the one simple box, as shown:

And, in Safari itself, choose how to handle links from other apps, like Mail:

That's it. Done. All requested pop-up windows open as expected. All unwanted pop-ups are trapped by the pop-up blocker. All links to target blank open in a new tab. Configured as I have it, Safari will NEVER open an unwanted browser window.

I really hope this is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
It's still very broken.

target blank links STILL pop a new window:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ZINNI

Click the "NRCS" logo at the top right. I have my prefs set to open links to other sites in the same window -- but this opens a new window!!
This link goes to another page in the same domain so the behavior you're seeing is expected.

Quote:
True, if I check the box I get the link in a new tab -- but then all my pop-up javascript windows get sent to a new tab! For example, try:

http://copyranter.blogspot.com/
As I mentioned earlier I understand what you want. What we have added here is a single window browsing mode. This obviously is not what you're looking for--I really do understand this. If it turns out that the current implementation is wrong then you bet we will change it but at the moment the feature set is doing what it's supposed to.

Also, we have a request for allowing exactly what you want. We also don't want useless UI. If no one wants the current UI then we'll make changes. If it turns out that it's a 50/50 split then we'll do what we can to offer functionality for both sides. It isn't our intention to leave you in the dark here.