The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow startup under 10.6 while querying printers? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, OmniGraffle has been slow to start up. The behavior is the same after upgrading to 5.2. The inspectors actually show up almost immediately, but then the beach ball appears and spins for about 20 seconds before the "Choose a template for your document" dialog appears.

I grabbed a sample of the process via Activity Monitor, and the profile shows that all the time is being spent within CUPSPrinter::GetPPD. I'm guessing that it's looking up printer capabilities in order to determine supported paper sizes.

Are other folks seeing this same phenomenon, or is it just me?

Yep, definitely there.
There is a strange Excel problem, i.e. slowdown, tied to HP printer drivers. Perhaps this is similar!

I'm seeing this as well. I'm also using HP printer drivers.

I'm a new user and I am experiencing this same issue. I also have 10.6.x and an HP printer. It is kind of annoying to wait the additional 20 seconds for the "choose document" window to open. Looks like this issue has been around a while. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

OmniGraffle queries your default printer setup upon launch, and something in the drivers is taking a very long time to respond. You're likely to see similar delays when bringing up the page setup dialog in other applications. You may want to contact HP to see if they have made newer drivers available, or if they recommend removing, then reinstalling, the drivers for your printer.

Also, choosing a default template will mitigate this issue, since each template in the chooser triggers a separate query. If you choose a default, it'll only perform one.

Hope this helps!