The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Contexts View Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a university student trying to adopt OmniFocus into my life. The last few days I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the workflow of the GTD system. I understand that you are supposed to be completing tasks through the contexts mode. I am having a little bit of an issue with this.

I created a folder for one of my classes and inside that folder I created a project for an assignment. This assignment has different steps, with each step having substeps. In project view, everything looks nice and organized, but when I head over to context view, the hierarchy of all my steps seems to be completely ignored and it just made a mess of the different steps of my assignment. Is there any way to fix this? How exactly do you guys work in context mode when you aren't able to view supertasks and subtasks together?

Edit: Not sure if this is supposed to be in the "Applying Omnifocus" section. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

Welcome!

Projects can have flow that is either sequential or parallel (or single-action). Sub-groups can flow as sequential or parallel. This structure is preserved in a Project view.

When you switch to Context view, what you see depends on the settings in the View panel above the window. The structure (flow) of the projects is subordinate to the filter of the view you choose. You can filter to show only next actions that are due, all actions that are flagged, … and many other options.

Everything else about how best to use Omnifocus is really up to you to decide. You can choose to work strictly in Project mode if you feel more comfortable there. Alternatively, you can choose to work only on certain contexts at any given period, for example … @Desk might be one that you have to do an assignment and @Reading might be one that you have to read your textbook and notes. Presumably for example, you would be more comfortable to do a reading assignment on a train trip home versus doing a homework assignment on the train. So, the context becomes defining for this rather than the position of a task in its project flow.

Hope this helps clarify what you face.