The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature request : 'OR' actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
(will also submit this via email)

I'd like to see a third option, in addition to 'parallel' and 'sequential', of 'do any one'. Essentially for actions that present an either-or alternative:

Some of the actions where this could be applied:
-> Stop at grocery store and buy dinner
-> Call for pizza delivery

-> Buy flowers
-> Buy candy
-> Sleep on the sofa

-> Buy widget
-> Construct widget from old spacecraft parts

Completion of any action would equate to completion of the project / parent action. (I'm not sure what would happen to the other actions -- is there a 'dropped' status for actions? If so, that would probably be the state to put it in).

In this case, you're using the OR function to defer making a decision. I have a "Reflection" context where I put decisions I have to make. In the first instance, I think your real first action is "decide whether to cook or order delivery." Once you have made that decision, you can enter the appropriate next action.

Otherwise, you're inviting procrastination, which usually leads to the option that is easiest in the short term even if it's not ideal in the longer term. By the time it's 6:30 p.m. and you have checked off neither "stop at grocery store" nor "call for pizza," you have effectively decided to call for pizza (unless your grocery store is around the corner or you dine relatively late).

brianogilvie has the more GTD response. Sometimes I cheat a little and my action is simply "Saturday dinner". When I see that action, I know I need to do _something_ about it. If I'm considering a couple options, I'll put them in the notes. Once I've bought groceries or ordered pizza, I check the action off without always bothering to specify which action I took.