The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

omniweb roadmap? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
zottel, FWIW I think most experienced software developers don't have that problem. For the majority of work my work does for clients, we estimate a flat fee and stick to it. If we go over, we don't bill extra. I know most software companies don't bill that way.

Internally, we're even more strict on some projects, but we also have some where there's no timeframe at all.

It really comes down to priorities. The OG could easily come up with an exact timeframe for releases. However, the perspective I have of them is that they have higher priorities than keeping to a schedule. I would say judging by results, they like a little confusion and uncertainty to avoid compromises in their priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
A roadmap doesn't exactly mean a schedule. I think the poster just wanted an indication of where it's going.
One thing I would like to know is whether the next version of OW will be Leopard only. The next version of Graffle requires 10.5 and it seems a lot of apps (not just Omni) may be going this way.....

If Omni Group posted the features planned for next Major release, you would better switch to Firefox since every single feature impresses you would show up as a "extension" without a single credit to Omni group :)

I saw what happened to Opera ASA "Quick Dial" feature. Transferred to Firefox in 3-4 days as an extension without credit.

Well, it looks like OW is just struggling to keep up with the latest webkit releases. There haven't been any new significant features in OW in quite some time.

It has been a little while since we've heard much on OW's longer-term future, so a basic roadmap, or statement of intent would be welcome.

Perhaps a statement of their priorities in synching with WebKit changes vs adding requested features, perhaps some indication as to whether to expect an OW6 release in '08.

As paying customers we are owed a little bit more than an open source project, but it's true that they can't play their hand too openly either.

...+1 for a little more openness (conveniently near Macworld, where we'll hopefully get some updates anyway!)

I am saying this to be exact.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/a...x_workspa.html

This is the open source browser scene of 2007, like or not.

I hate the fact that everyone gets the ideas from our paid browser and calls us "stupid" a while later for paying for a browser.

It was the same deal while I was a registered/paid Opera for Windows user too.

Now that I am totally getting back into OW (I went back to Safari+Stand for a while), I am only curious about one thing: form autofill. Will this feature work again? It was working for me about 50% of the time, but now it's completely broken. This is the absolute last thing that OW needs to work (at least for me).

Payam