The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatic Diagramm Generation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi There

I'm looking for some ideas how to do it the best way, to autmatically generate flow diagrams within OmniGraffle 5.0 Prof. The diagrams should be generate from data which comes out of a number of oracle data base tables, with stand in relation to each other. This tables describe workflows and workflow actions.

Any idea how to approach this the best way with OmniGraffle? I can export the data in various formats out of oracle.

Thanks and regards
iMacli

On a similar tack, I would like a utility to generate OmniGraffle diagrams of PL/SQL procedure flows. There are tools that do this on Windows platform, but I have yet to find an open source or Mac OS X tool to help with this.

If anyone knows of something that works, even if it is not yet compatible with OmnisGraffle, please let me know.

I am willing to participate in a group effort to build or extend such a thing using the Omni Group dev kits. Samir Tartir published a paper "SQLFlow: PL/SQL Multi-Diagrammatic Source Code Visualization" that might be a reasonable base document.

Probably the easiest format to use as a go-between would be the .dot format, which OmniGraffle can import.

You can find out more about .dot at Graphviz.org.

Other than that, you may want to take a look at the actual .graffle file format, it's an XML property list so you may be able to script up a solution using that.

I ran a script I found for PL/SQL to create a .dot file, but OmniGraffle hung during the open file processing. I am using OmniGraffle version 4.2.2.

Suggestions are most welcome.

If you can send that .dot file in to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com we'd be happy to take a look at it.