The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone calendar syncs only manually Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have instructed my iPhone to sync with the OmniFocus Reminders .ics calendar according to its "fetch" interval, currently set at 1hr.

However, the calendar only syncs manually: Unless I actually run the calendar app, my alarms are not updated even after many hours of waiting.

The phone is always connected to the internet via WiFi or 3G, so connectivity issues are out of the question.

Any other ideas? This is driving me nuts because I tend to change my reminders often, and it is highly inconvenient to have to run the calendar app each time this happens.

Thank you.

Sorry for the trouble! OmniFocus for the iPhone updates the .ics calendar when you sync with your server. Unfortunately, since apps aren't allowed to run in the background on the iPhone, you'll need open OmniFocus and sync in order to update your calendar events.

If you're still having difficulties with this, feel free to email us at omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com. Thanks!

And even if you do that, you might not get the notification for a while because the calendar app is only fetching the data once an hour with your settings. If it last fetched the data just before you sync, it won't learn of those changes for an hour! If you are going to be relying on notifications for near future events (less than 2 hours from now) and changing them often, you probably ought to bite the battery, er, bullet and have the calendar update as often as possible. It's unfortunate that Apple hasn't seen fit to provide a notification system that 3rd party apps can use to put up a message at a predetermined time!

My apologies, I should have made this clearer: I actually do sync the ics calendar file with OFi, and do wait for at least one hour per my "fetch" settings. Nonetheless, the calendar only syncs manually, i.e. once I run the iPhone calendar app. Put otherwise, "fetch" does not seem to work for my subscribed calendar, although it does work for my email!!!:confused:

Absurd!

Hm....are you using MobileMe to sync? Are you subscribed to the .ics calendar on the Mac's copy of iCal as well?

I do use MobileMe only in the sense that the ics file is stored on my iDisk. I have not subscribed to the OF calendar on the Mac, however. I tried doing that in the past and had all sorts of problems, so I wiped everything out and reset it up, the iPhone now being the sole subscriber to the calendar.

So this is quite a strange issue indeed.

Well, I would check the last modification date on the OmniFocus Reminders.ics file (on MobileMe) to make sure it is getting updated when you think it is. If it is, and the calendar app still isn't getting updated after an hour has gone by, I think you should be asking Apple, not Omni, for assistance.

Macula, are you in the UK? If so, make sure 24-Hour Time is set on your iPhone (via Settings.app>General>Date and Time). Upon digging through the dev database some more, it looks like there's a date format bug where if your iPhone is set in the UK region, and your phone does not have 24-Hour Time set, you won't receive alerts. This bug has been fixed in 1.6.1.