The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnz View Post
Come on. These defensive 'don't critize Omni' phrases are driving me mad in this thread. Why wouldn't I? This sounds almost like you are an Omni employee playing an incognito customer. It's really funny. You claim that OmniFocus is superior to other products, yet you are trying hard to find a reason not list the reasons (because they of course would be too long). You claim that the Omnifocus is so much superior and that people using the cheaper apps just don't have enough to do. However, the point of my criticism is exactly that: that you can't focus with Omnifocus in the way to list the todo items efficiently, because everything is too huge, empty project items are listed, etc. etc.. There is just too much information on the screen, too little organization, and everything is just much too big. You can't concentrate on what is relevant. I wouldn't critize the price if the product was what you claim it to be, but it simply isn't.

Edit: I just learnt that there apparently should be an item "Perspective" in the OF sidebar. But I don't have it. This may make my criticism superfluos (except for the sluggish and huge UI), but I still don't know how to get this sidebar item...
I'll keep the conversation civll. I do not work for Omni at all. I did beta test their iPad application, but that's all my involvement.

I used to do reviews mobile devices and applications on the webs awhile back, but I just don't have the time to do a detail review on these programs to do them justice these days. I was merely sharing my personal opinion on what I thought of these programs. When I find time in the future, I might do a detail review of pros/cons of each program.

Do I think OF for iPad is perfect? No. There are features that need to be in place. Believe me those features were even suggested during the beta phase, but Omni has to make a decision as to when to cut off the feature addition. Otherwise, you would still be waiting to get the program, and judging from what I saw, folks wanted the program in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Oh c'mon, whpalmer4, according to Omni, Landscape mode is still an experimental feature.... !
And rightly so — it is full of bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
And rightly so — it is full of bugs!
Oh? So this is the platinum standard, premium priced product that we're all supposed to rave about? OK, let me guess... I have to vote for the landscape bugs to be fixed... [sigh...] :rolleyes:

You at least have to report them to be sure they are aware the bug exists. A bunch of landscape bugs that I've reported in the past seem to have been fixed; I think there's a misconception going around that a bug won't be fixed unless everyone and his brother complains. However, if Brian tells Ken that 3 dozen people have complained about something not working right, I'm pretty sure that Ken takes a look at the issue as soon as he gets a chance. One person complaining 3 dozen times about the same issue may not get quite the same response, however :) I reported about 8 of them (for the iPod/iPhone app) while doing the iPad testing, but inexplicably, none of them seem to have been fixed yet. I wonder why :rolleyes:

Many of the landscape bugs I'm referring to come up when you change the orientation of the phone when the app is launching, or doing something that takes more than an instant to render. Display ends up drawn in landscape, with an overlaid keyboard in portrait, for example. Others are just things that look bad, but still work. I still spend much of my time on the iPod using it in landscape mode, so they aren't crippling by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
I think the thing you have to ask here is whether the $40 price tag seems reasonble when comparing it to the functionality and price of its competitors. The truth is, I switched from Omnifocus Mac+iPhone to Todo on iPhone+iPad+Toodledo. When Omnifocus for iPad came out, I wanted to switch back. I have bought Omnifocus for iPad and I am unhappy with it - it won't make me switch back. I am not reclaiming my money as I have the hope that the Omni guys will fix the problems, but with Todo 4 around the corner (just received an announcement mail yesterday or so), they play a catch-up game that is hard to win - especially at this price point. And Appigo and all the others are certainly no bigger companies than Omnigroup, however, they still manage to make a living off these affordable prices.
I currently use Todo on iPhone+iPad+Toodledo and am very interested in Omnifocus for iPad, and am VERY curious why you are not switching back to Omnifocus for iPad. Your perspective is of value to me since you are already using the same combination of apps that I am. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ok. Just wrote the Omni support a lengthy email explaining again my complaints. I basically stated that I don't want a refund if they acknowledge the shortcomings and they intend to fix them. On the other hand, I take the refund if they really believe that the app is better than the alternatives and that it is reasonably priced for what it does :D For me, it's all about the attitude. Everyone makes mistakes. But you got to have the attitude to acknowledge what went wrong. Having said that, I somehow got the perspectives entry appear in my sidebar after fiddling with it in OmniFocus. That "Due view" should have been there from the beginning. It's madness not to have it in there by default - it really IS the most important view you need. I probably would not ever have started to complain (at least not that early) if that entry was there from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
I currently use Todo on iPhone+iPad+Toodledo and am very interested in Omnifocus for iPad, and am VERY curious why you are not switching back to Omnifocus for iPad. Your perspective is of value to me since you are already using the same combination of apps that I am. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
I listed them already in this thread and the review thread. With the perspectives, OmniFocus for app is usable, but it is not without it - so if you don't have OF for Mac, you probably won't be able to get that sidebar entry. I only got it by fiddling with the OF for Mac and syncing with it. Does it bring me any considerable advange over Todo that justifies almost 10 times the amount of money? No, not really. But I lose the web interface of Toodledo. I don't know. The people who claim that OF is so much better than Todo and/or Toodledo probably have never worked with it. I find this combination highly efficient. On the other hand, having a good Mac client is nice to have as well. You don't have that with Todo and Toodledo. But then, something simple like sorting after priority first, and then after due dates doesn't seem to be possible with OF. Honestly, I am completely torn. If there is some signal from Omni that they plan to make it right in the next few months, I may switch back to OmniFocus I guess.

Last edited by bnz; 2010-07-31 at 07:54 AM..

I'm one of those that have bought all the competing options too. Ugh.

Things just isn't an option. Not only are try missing key functionality, but the syncing via wifi only is just a non starter for me. Plus if you have iPhone and iPad apps and make a change on one, you have to manually sync to the Mac then sync again to the other idevice. Really?

I really like ToDo for the iPhone and used it for a while. But hated having to use Toodledo I a web browser on my Mac. I really prefer a Mac client. Plus, while it works, syncing via toodledo is clunky. If appigo had a Mac client, I'd have been tempted to stick with that platform for less money.

So all things considered, the seamless cloud syncing across three devices with a solid Mac client makes OmniFocus the winner. Even if I think the prices are a little high and the GUI not as elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
I really like ToDo for the iPhone and used it for a while. But hated having to use Toodledo I a web browser on my Mac. I really prefer a Mac client. Plus, while it works, syncing via toodledo is clunky. If appigo had a Mac client, I'd have been tempted to stick with that platform for less money.
I've never had problems with the Toodledo syncing. And while I do not use the web interface a lot, I think it is really good that you _can_ have access to your todo lists anywhere where there is a web browser. This is even more important to me than a Mac client, because I have an iPad Keyboard dock at home and in the office. So I don't even need to use a computer for my Todos, I just use the iPad.

Quote:
I've never had problems with the Toodledo syncing. And while I do not use the web interface a lot, I think it is really good that you _can_ have access to your todo lists anywhere where there is a web browser. This is even more important to me than a Mac client, because I have an iPad Keyboard dock at home and in the office. So I don't even need to use a computer for my Todos, I just use the iPad.
I meant clunky in that you can only sync some things for free but others (subtasks) require subscription. I tend to be allergic to subscriptions. :p

I hear you about the benefit of the web. But I am fine with my iPhone for anywhere access and don't really care for Toodledo's look and feel of the web client.

Quote:
That "Due view" should have been there from the beginning.
Just double checking, you did try the Forecast view, right?

Curt