The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

today status - feature request Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Giving a task a start date of the day you want to do the task is the same as giving it a due date for the same reason.
henry, if what you are saying is true, then why does OF have start dates and due dates... why not just one date?
I don't have anything backwards... the fact is the app treats each one quite differently.
The problem I have with the way OF treats start dates is that it does NOT hide actions for which a start date has not been set so Perspectives are littered with hundreds of actions unless I hide each and every one of them with an arbitrary future start date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
why does OF have start dates and due dates... why not just one date?
Start date is there to allow you to reduce clutter by hiding actions that cannot be accomplished until some other event occurs. An off-the-top-of-my-head example: a "reserve a new iPhone" action couldn't be accomplished before today, when Apple allowed folks to reserve them. Showing the action before then means just makes it harder to find actions that I can actually work on.

Due date is there to allow you to say "this action must be done before some date". Example: while you can pay your taxes on April 16th here in the states, you're far better off if you do so on the 15th, when they are due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
I don't have anything backwards... the fact is the app treats each one quite differently.
Sorry, maybe I mis-inderstood.
I thought you were trying to use start dates to create a "Today" list. As Brian said, start dates and due dates serve very different purposes but if you are trying to make a "Today" list you can mis-use either start date or due date to get a list that is almost what you want, but not quite. Reason being that they aren't designed to be used this way.