The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Several Perspective Bugs in 96142 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've submitted these as feedback, but I thought I'd post them here, too, in case I'm overlooking something.

Here's a recipe that highlights three perspective bugs in revision 96142. Some of these steps probably aren't required -- I'm not sure what the minimal set is:
  1. Launch OmniFocus
  2. In context mode, select "Contexts" in the context hierarchy and set the view bar to all contexts, ungrouped, flagged, available, any duration, any flag state.
  3. Change to planning mode, select "Library" in the project hierarchy and set the view bar to all projects, ungrouped, unsorted, all states, any duration, any flag state.
  4. In the perspective window, save this perspective and check "also restore settings for other mode". Call it Test1.
  5. Switch to context mode. Change the view bar to group by due.
  6. In the perspective window, save this perspective and do not check "also restore settings for other mode." Call it Test2.

BUG #1 (minor): Test2 should be checked in the Perspective menu, since it was just created, but it's not. Test1 is still checked.
  7. Choose Test2 from the Perspective menu.
  8. Choose Test1 from the Perspective menu.
  9. Switch to context mode.

BUG #2: note that the view is grouped by due, even though Test1 should have saved it as ungrouped.
  10. In the perspective window, click once to select Test2 and click minus to delete it.
  11. In the perspective window, click once to select Test1 and click minus to delete it.

BUG #3: watch the toolbar bounce several times and then disappear.

There's actually another minor bug that I haven't seen mentioned:
  1. open the perspective window
  2. press + to add a new perspective
  3. type a new name but do not press return
  4. click the "snapshot/camera" button to save the perspective

Pressing the button actually blows away the typed name instead of saving it. (That button probably wasn't meant for saving the name, but it makes sense. And it shouldn't blow away typing, anyway, since even closing the window doesn't do that.)

Last edited by davisre; 2007-12-16 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: added revision number

A workaround for bug #2 (still present in 96179), is to apply a perspective twice. For example, I have a perspective for planning mode, mapped to the F1 key, that is also supposed to apply its settings to context mode. It doesn't do this reliably because of bug #2 above, but I can force it to by hitting F1 twice.

The silence on this leads me to believe I'm the only one seeing it. I realize my recipe was abstract (I wanted something reproducible), but is no one else having trouble applying perspectives that are set to apply to both modes?

Maybe there's something wonky about my system that requires me to apply a perspective twice to guarantee that the settings in the non-visible mode will be set properly.

I was able to reproduce the condition you mentioned, and have logged it as <bug://43987>. I've asked Rowan to take a look at this one and see what we are doing wrong.

as far as Bug1... saving a new perspective does not currently make it the active perspective, so right now I would not expect the newly created perspective to be checked.

Not sure if this is the final/correct behavior or not, but that's what it is at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
as far as Bug1... saving a new perspective does not currently make it the active perspective, so right now I would not expect the newly created perspective to be checked.

Not sure if this is the final/correct behavior or not, but that's what it is at present.
Yeah, bug #2 was the reason for this thread; the others are just oddities along the way.

About #1, though, I think the current behavior (saving a perspective doesn't make it current) is a little unusual. It's like the little-used "Save To ..." feature of a document-based app, when we're all more accustomed to "Save As ..." But I certainly don't feel very strongly about it.

A small change to the perspectives window, that I think would pay huge dividends, is if the selected perspective in the window changed to match the perspective of the front most window. This would make it much easier to refine perspective settings. As it is, if I tweak a perspective and want to save the change I have to: open the perspectives window, think about the name of my currently open perspective, find that name in the perspectives window, then click the camera icon. If the perspective were auto-selected, I could just open the perspectives window and click the camera.

(I almost entirely use the Perspectives menu for switching perspectives.)

Curt

Interesting idea Curt; we are clamping down on new features for 1.0, but I've logged this as <bug://bugs/44133> (Auto-select the perspective for the main window in the perspectives window) for the future.

There is also a bug open for snapshotting the perspective of the current window from the menu, without the need for opening the window at all.

That might be even easier for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
There is also a bug open for snapshotting the perspective of the current window from the menu, without the need for opening the window at all.

That might be even easier for you.
Yes, definitely. Back in the day, of course, we had the Save Perspective menu item that would do just that (after a confirmation sheet and dialog).

Curt