The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Check off and Uncheck leads to multiple instances Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I don't even know what to search for so I am posting a new message. I apologize if this issue has been discussed previously.

I have found that I sometimes end up with copies of actions on my iPhone, then they are replicated on my Macintosh, too. Today I discovered that it is due to checking off an action (complete) and then unchecking it. This event happens by mistake. Apparently, as soon as I check off an action, if it is set to repeat, then the new action is created. If I then uncheck it, I have the original plus the new action. When I finally check off the original, it spawns yet another repeated instance.

I understand why it happens but it seems that the 'commit' should either have some grace period (e.g., not immediate but only when you leave that window) or unchecking should be disabled or cause OmniFocus to remove the repeated instance.

Thanks for listening.

This problem isn't limited to the iPhone -- you can (and I do) have the same problem on the desktop. There's also a related problem that your suggestion won't fix, which is the duplication that happens if you mark off a repeating item in two places before syncing. The sync code doesn't know that those two seemingly identical actions are really supposed to be just one action and so it keeps both.

This is why I've trained myself to hit Command-Z (undo) instead of unchecking. ;-)

-Dennis

If you check out this thread, it explains the thinking behind the current behavior.

Although, since the phone doesn't support undo, I can see how that behavior may make less sense. If folks have suggestions for how they'd like the phone (and specifically the phone) to handle this, please email them to the support ninjas so we can get them filed in the development database.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-03-25 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Link instead of merge.

Brian, old buddy, I hate to break the bad news to you, but I believe the other post is still missing a word in the penultimate sentence :)