The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Outliner languishing? Say it ain't so Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using OOpro more-or-less happily for a long time. Lately I've been frustrated that I see feature innovation in other products while Outliner has remained stagnant. From the interface ("drawers? drawers? In this day and age?") to the feature list ("no in-line tables? C'mon.") the app is in dire need of some attention.

It's been over two years now since Outliner had a significant update. OO3 celebrated its third birthday a few weeks ago.

It's sad, because for me this, along with Graffle, is the defining application for Omni's design philosophy. It's the app that led me to buy most of their other products, which I suspect is the case for a lot of users who discover it preinstalled on their macbooks.

I realize that there are a lot of exciting things happening in Omniland, but I hope that they are not neglecting their commitment to a product line made up of modern applications that make the most out of the latest OS X technology.

Sorry for the relative quiet on our part! We use OmniOutliner heavily ourselves, and we're as eager as you are to see OmniOutliner 4.

Over the past few years, we've done quite a lot of work on the OmniOutliner engine as part of the work we've done on OmniPlan and OmniFocus, and if you take a close look at those products you'll see several of the improvements we're planning to bring back to OmniOutliner:
  • Different rows can have different sets of columns. (You can see this in OmniFocus if you examine rows which represent different types of items, e.g. projects vs. actions.)
  • Columns can be hidden. (Both OmniPlan and OmniFocus support this.)
  • Multiple windows can be opened on the same document. (OmniFocus does this.)
  • Views can be filtered based on multiple criteria, and you can print your filtered view. (OmniPlan 1.5 does this.)
  • Documents can have multiple saved view perspectives that you can quickly select or print. (OmniFocus does this.)
  • Popup columns support "Smart Match" completion for quick keyboard input. (OmniFocus does this.)

Of course, we're also giving the UI a facelift, and we're hoping to add a few other frequently-requested features as well. (Zoomed editing, anyone?)

So, again, let me apologize for the relative quiet on our end! We've been busy improving things in the engine, but we still have some work to do to make those improvements available to the user.

(And yes, it's also true that we do have a lot of other projects going on as well—and this month's release of the iPhone SDK probably won't help matters any! If you know any software developers that might be interested in working for a small software company in Seattle, please send them our way.)

Thanks, Ken -- we appreciate the status update.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the results.

Is there any possibility of "Applescript access to attachments" joining that list? I've noticed that OmniFocus seems to have some support for it...

Seriously, even if the path to the attachment just turned up in the "value" field of the cell in some form, that would would be a massive help to me.

My quest to turn OmniOutliner into a fully featured Latex Editor is slightly stalled without it...