The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone and OmniFocus - A BIG NO! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
I'm sure some tweaks will be made, but I wouldn't place too much weight on the fact that the iPhone can be upgraded.
Quote:
...to get any real updates you have to shell out for a newer iPod.
Quote:
buying the iPhone now and expecting it to radically improve and evolve over its current limitations is perhaps a bit optimistic.
While it's always prudent to be cautious, perhaps you're unaware that Apple has already clearly stated it will release -- free of charge -- both (a) new applications and (b) new features for the iphone. This was widely reported, at least 8 weeks ago. You can read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/25/a...e-tv-upgrades/

All these reasonable assessments of the iPhone are great, but you know, love knows not of reason and, well, I'm in love. I guess it's a good thing I'll be on a plane tomorrow at 6:30pm where I can't do any serious damage. :-)

I guess I don't see task and note syncing is a feature apple should be "cautious" about.

That is PDA/PIM 101.

Not saying I won't be in line tomorrow, but it will damping the fun.

BZ

Maybe I am just shedding cognitive dissonance (being a European without any chance of queueing for any iPhones soon), but I have recently jettisoned any pretension of synching todos with my mobiles at all.

I now use a Montblanc pen/notebook to jot down inbox items while on the go, and my morning review yields a list (printed from OF) of things that I need to do while enroute. (View availables, group by dues, then check as appropriate, after that change filter from availables to checked, print.)

Not only is my notebook svelte and sexy enough to impress (though not as much as an iPhone to be sure), I also avoid mixing up date-related (appointment) and to-do information. P.A. seperated them for a reason.

Klaus

BTW, I am really looking for a single need-not-carry-anything-else device. A gadget with a puny 2 MP camera and neither flash nor Zeiss lens, scant room for about 20 % of my music collection and no 3G UMTS is not it -- and this does not even mention PIM integration.

The iPhone is likely to be a huge commercial success. What I really need, a UMPC-beating sub-1kg MacBook running OS X with an entire day's worth of battery life, is unfortunately not on Steve's radar, Apple having been eclipsed completely on that sub-market by Sony.

Now _this_ "MacPocket" would really be a killer GTD device, with no half-assed (sorry) synching at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia
I guess I don't see task and note syncing is a feature apple should be "cautious" about.

That is PDA/PIM 101.

Not saying I won't be in line tomorrow, but it will damping the fun.

BZ
Show me one place in Apple's marketing where the iPhone is referred to as a "PDA" or a "PIM." Thier commercial says "there's never been an iPod that could do this, or this, or..." not there's never been a Palm or a Blackberry or even a smart phone that could do the demonstrated functionality none of which included organizer like functions, not even the built-in calendar. Get it straight, this is a CONSUMER device not a road-warrior utility belt meant to allow you to schedule conference rooms through your corporate email system. I'm not saying that features like note and to do list syncing aren't desirable and I'm sure they will be added, probably in October since both of these features seem to be undergoing serious revamping in Leopard, but they are definitely not what this device is being marketed for.

Not what you had in mind? Well luckily there's still a lot of other phones out there to choose from. I'm intrigued by the Apple TV but I know that my Tivo already does a lot more for me so I'm sticking with that. Different strokes, etc. Just because we're Apple fans doesn't mean we're required to collect the whole set.

<parade weather="rain">
Perhaps I'm just trying to temper my own gadget lust for an iPhone. But I would be somewhat surprised if iPhone features were contingent on Leopard. It seems likely that the majority of iPhone users will be running Windows.
</parade>

I've never connected an iPod to a Windows box. Does Mac-iPod syncing offer any features beyond Windows-iPod syncing? (That is, apart from the general usability and personality of the OS, which is why I'm only syncing to Macs to begin with.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalt
Show me one place in Apple's marketing where the iPhone is referred to as a "PDA" or a "PIM." Thier commercial says "there's never been an iPod that could do this, or this, or..." not there's never been a Palm or a Blackberry or even a smart phone that could do the demonstrated functionality none of which included organizer like functions, not even the built-in calendar. Get it straight, this is a CONSUMER device not a road-warrior utility belt meant to allow you to schedule conference rooms through your corporate email system. I'm not saying that features like note and to do list syncing aren't desirable and I'm sure they will be added, probably in October since both of these features seem to be undergoing serious revamping in Leopard, but they are definitely not what this device is being marketed for.

Not what you had in mind? Well luckily there's still a lot of other phones out there to choose from. I'm intrigued by the Apple TV but I know that my Tivo already does a lot more for me so I'm sticking with that. Different strokes, etc. Just because we're Apple fans doesn't mean we're required to collect the whole set.
Well, neither phone nor iPod are said to have built in calendars so your arguement goes out the window.

Tasks and Notes are very basic, but very needed and supported in almost ANY phone. So calling this one "revolutionary" when it doesn't do some of the most basic things, is a little much.

That being said, I have mine sitting on my desk as we speak and it is great.

It needs tasks and notes syncing, but it is great.

BZ

I hope this isn't too far out of line for this thread, but it has morphed into OF-to-go somewhat.

I've been using a Palm (DateBk6, Memo Pad, and To Do list (& FileMaker Mobile for my contacts)) syncing to Palm Desktop for years succesfully (had some sync issues long ago). Based on wanting to go OF <--> iCal <--> Palm DateBk6 and To Do list (and Mark/Space Notebook <--> Palm Memo Pad), I bought the Missing Sync 6.0, and have been living my worst sync nightmare since. I won't go into the gory details (many others are in the same boat), but the pain of having data wiped out for no good reason, reverting to corrupted backups, massive duplicate events, etc., was enough to drive me to buy an iPhone until I read the Pogue article. Maybe things will change (support for tasks and notes), but until then, I'm afraid I may have to retreat to Palm conduits and lose OF to go, but keep my sanity.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-06-30 at 01:21 PM..

Hey Bob,

I am in the same boat but I gave up on MS 6.0 and Treo and went for the iPhone. There is just way too much in the iPhone platform that makes up for those two missing features.

Now is the time to bug the hell out of Apple to get them to sync those two.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
Perhaps I'm just trying to temper my own gadget lust for an iPhone. But I would be somewhat surprised if iPhone features were contingent on Leopard. It seems likely that the majority of iPhone users will be running Windows.
A fair point. I think you're right that at least eventually more iPhones will sync with Windows but I also think that the Mac-iPhone experience will be the better one by design which might depend on better tools on the Mac for to-do's and notes which we know are coming in Leopard. While the Windows solution will most likely be Outlook based which I'm pretty sure is what the iPod/iPhone syncs it's contacts and calendar with now.

Just guessing though.