The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We have to remember that beta versions are functioning versions but with possibly loaded with hidden bugs and an interface that is still evolving.

Use beta software only if you are willing to risk your data.

Ten thousand people? Wow! I guess that would include a lot of other users from competing products such as Things and The Hit List.

I remember being frustrated by the limits of Things but loving the user interface. I often switch between the iPad version and the Mac version of OF and longing to bring the iPAD UI to the Mac version.

*sigh* Waiting for that e-mail from Omnigroup that says we get invited to the public beta!

The screen shots do look interesting. No more column style (outline) interface. This means that OmniFocus can fit more easily in a smaller screen like the 11" MacBook Air now. *whew*

So if we buy it now, do we get upgraded to the pro version when it comes out?

Yes, if you buy today, you get OF 2 Pro edition for free when it ships. The only people who might want to hold off are those who need to get the lowest possible up-front cost — they should wait and buy OF 2 Basic edition when it ships. That said, if buying OmniFocus now keeps you from missing a credit card payment or two, it may have paid for the difference in cost between the two versions right there. Bringing some needed structure to a sufficiently disorganized life may merit buying the pro version now, even if the feature set of the basic version might suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
*sigh* Waiting for that e-mail from Omnigroup that says we get invited to the public beta!
Yep, like checking email everyday...Like a child waiting on next Christmas...starting the day after haha

I'm... just going to put... this link down... right heeeeeeere... and back away... slowly. ;-)

Executive summary: our best guess right now is March-ish for the beta. Repeat: March-ISH. Which doesn't mean March 1, or March 31, or even rule out the possibility that we'll slip into April... though we'll certainly try not to!

Any ideas when the "Early Access" group who were at the event will have their hands on something? It will be great to start seeing some feedback from additional users. (I was at the event so I hope to see something soon. Can you tell I am anxious?).

Having viewed Video: OmniFocus 2 Debut, I see that when viewing Projects, each individual Action has it's Context written beneath it in smaller font. This is terrific...
http://forums.omnigroup.com/attachme...1&d=1360276386
However, when viewing Contexts, each individual Action still has the Context written beneath it. But we can already see what Context it is. This seems to be a wasted opportunity...
http://forums.omnigroup.com/attachme...1&d=1360276386
Surely it would be better, when in a Context view to see the Project written in smaller font beneath the Action... in fact the full Project path... e.g.: Kill Dad / buy gun / find gun stores.
Thoughts anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF2_Project.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2705   Click image for larger version

Name:	OF2_Context.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2706  

Context mode views are used whenever sorting or groupin on a per-action basis. The context isn't always readily apparent except if you put in a context column in OF for Mac now, and while I'm not eager to lose the project info, not having the context info available on the iPad is a major annoyance in perspectives there.

I wouldn't take the appearance of anything in the promo shots as a done deal, judging from their comments that night, but do speak up if you see something that concerns you!