The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Clipping shortcut not working in Snow Leopard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Same issue here; clipping doesn't work from the keyboard, but does from the services menu.

Interestingly, the keyboard shortcut I assigned, ctrl-shift-c, appears in neither the OF Clipping Preferences nor the Services menu hints. I can see the shortcut appearing as I type it in, but as soon as I'm done it disappears and return to the "click to record shortcut" text.

I've tried re-installing clip-o-tron, rebooting, restarting applications, etc. Still no shortcuts.

MacOS 10.6.2, OF 1.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunez View Post
Same issue here; clipping doesn't work from the keyboard, but does from the services menu.

Interestingly, the keyboard shortcut I assigned, ctrl-shift-c, appears in neither the OF Clipping Preferences nor the Services menu hints. I can see the shortcut appearing as I type it in, but as soon as I'm done it disappears and return to the "click to record shortcut" text.

I've tried re-installing clip-o-tron, rebooting, restarting applications, etc. Still no shortcuts.

MacOS 10.6.2, OF 1.7.5
Try another key combination for the shortcut. There are conflicts, some hard to know what they are, and one may be conflicting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Try another key combination for the shortcut. There are conflicts, some hard to know what they are, and one may be conflicting.
Thanks; I've tried dozens of combinations; none of them 'stick'.

Cheers,
- Steve

Steve, did you look at peteypolo's message above? I had a similar problem -- couldn't get the shortcut to stick (even though I knew it wasn't in use by something else) until I went to the keyboard preferences and checked the line in the Text services to enable the OmniFocus shortcut. After I did that, I was able to assign a keyboard shortcut in the usual manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Steve, did you look at peteypolo's message above? I had a similar problem -- couldn't get the shortcut to stick (even though I knew it wasn't in use by something else) until I went to the keyboard preferences and checked the line in the Text services to enable the OmniFocus shortcut. After I did that, I was able to assign a keyboard shortcut in the usual manner.
Yes, I did see that, thanks. It is enabled, but still no joy.

Cheers,
- Steve

There is still no joy for me :( Checked the keyboard preferences, right-click send to inbox works, but stll no shortcut

Hmmm.. a customer sent in a screen capture movie where we could see that the "Reset" button in the lower left of OmniFocus' Clipping preferences was behaving as if it had been pressed right after they set a keyboard shortcut.

In the movie, the customer set the shortcut, causing the Reset button to become active. Without a click on the button, the shortcut disappeared & the reset button went grey. That indicates that the prefs in that pane are all back at their default values. (No shortcut, in this case.)

We can't explain why why that would happen, but it could produce symptoms similar to what some of the folks in this thread are describing.

The customer that sent in the movie was able to work around this by setting the shortcut directly in System Preferences; that worked for them.

In general, though, we'd prefer to figure out what was causing this to happen, so we can fix any problems in the code, or offer a workaround if it's something we can't fix directly.

So, if you're having similar symptoms to the posters in this thread, the first thing to do is to review all of the tips in this thread; they cover all of the problems we know about and have solutions for. (At least one person in this thread would have been helped by info there.)

If the tips don't help, we'd really appreciate it if folks could contact the support ninjas so we can investigate the problem. Thus far, we've been unable to get this to happen on our test machines, so it's difficult to determine the root cause.

(Email is preferred because we may need to ask follow-up questions to sort this out. A ton of threaded questions and answers make for a confusing thread when new folks with a similar problem come to the forum.)

Useful information to include in the email to the ninjas about the problem:

What version of the OS on the Mac? (10.6.2? one of the earlier builds of Snow Leopard?)

What version of OmniFocus?

Is the reset button doing the activate/deactivate thing that the other customer described?

What, if any, pref panes appear in the "Other" section of the System Preferences window?

Along the same lines, are there any keyboard macro apps, Haxies, SIMBL plugins, custom Input Managers, or anything along those lines installed on the Mac in question?

Very sorry for the trouble, and thanks for the help, everyone - we really appreciate it.

I am also having the problem of the clipper working when invoked via a keyboard shortcut.

The clipping service works fine when I invoke it from the Services menu or by right-clicking on the email message. When I do this, I get a filled-out entry in the quick entry box - a screen shot is here.

If I use the keyboard shortcut, I just get an empty quick entry box like this screen shot.

My shortcut appears to be properly set up - here are the Keyboard Preferences. My OF clipping preferences are here.

OS is 10.6.4, all current updates applied. Omnifocus info is:

Build details:

Product: OmniFocus-1.x
Tag: OmniFocus/1.8.1/GM-v77.66
Date: 2010-09-28 13:27:51 -0700
Builder: kc
Host: tb106i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 138877

I tried everything noted in the sticky notes. System Preferences, etc. Nothing worked.

I had an odd situation of the keyboard shortcuts automatically resetting themselves, etc.

The first thing that helped was opening the System Preferences, Keyboard, panel.

However, when I went to Mail > Services > Omnifocus Inbox - the shortcut key for clipping was set to something that wasn't working at all - no matter how I tried, I couldn't find that shortcut to change it and changing it in OmniFocus wasn't working, so here is what I did.

Went to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Services

Then instead of scrolling through, I chose the PLUS sign in the middle underneath the window pane.

Choose Mail as your application and then type: OmniFocus: Send To Inbox
and manually add the shortcut key (mine is CMD+Shift+Return).

Closed it out and it works like a charm...

hope that helps someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technodad View Post
I am also having the problem of the clipper working when invoked via a keyboard shortcut.

The clipping service works fine when I invoke it from the Services menu or by right-clicking on the email message. When I do this, I get a filled-out entry in the quick entry box - a screen shot is here.

If I use the keyboard shortcut, I just get an empty quick entry box like this screen shot.

My shortcut appears to be properly set up - here are the Keyboard Preferences. My OF clipping preferences are here.

OS is 10.6.4, all current updates applied. Omnifocus info is:

Build details:

Product: OmniFocus-1.x
Tag: OmniFocus/1.8.1/GM-v77.66
Date: 2010-09-28 13:27:51 -0700
Builder: kc
Host: tb106i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 138877

I get exactly the same thing as in your screenshots of the OF and keyboard preference panes Technodad.
When I put in opt-cmd-space in the OF clippings pane it changes to something else, usually opt-cmd-E like in your screenshot, sometimes opt-cmd-'.
If I change it in the keyboard preference pane it says opt-cmd-space there but get changed to opt-cmd-E in the OF clippings pane.
When I open the OF preferences and clippings was the last selected pane there is a blue glow around the reset button. Is that what is meant here by the reset button getting pressed? If I do the same when any of the other panes were previously selected the reset button isn't highlighted.

Latest builds of both OSX and OF. Any more news on the matter since the last post here? If it's any use I can send screenshots and all info required to support.