The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feature request: setting the flag through keyboard Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbro View Post
@rmathes: It works for me in the quick entry window, also from other apps.
The key is that the Quick Entry window must have focus.

So if you have Safari as your front app, hit your keyboard shortcut to bring OmniFocus' Quick Entry window up, and hit Command-Shift-L, the flag works.

Now, without dismissing the Quick Entry window, click on a Safari window to activate it. Hit Command-Shift-L now and nothing happens in the Quick Entry window because Safari is receiving the command, not the Quick Entry window.

I'm not really sure this is a bug. Clearly you need to be able to activate other apps when the Quick Entry window is up so you can copy and paste info. And it makes sense that a key combination is going to be passed to the active app.

-Dennis

OK, I think I might have a bead on what’s going on here, kinda. I’d forgotten some stuff that transpired.

One day, the shift/cmd/L command stopped working, entirely, whether OF was the active app or not. I have MenuMaster installed on my machine so I tried assigning a different key command and that worked if OF was the active app, did not work if OF was not the active app. That’s still the case.

So, if I have OmniWeb as the active app and bring up the quick entry window, I am unable to use the keyboard to set or clear the flag setting. If OF is the active app, no problem.

I went into MenuMaster preferences and restored to the original value, disabled MenuMaster for OF, rebooted, still no go, the original keyboard command still doesn’t work.

I’m guessing maybe I have a conflict with another app or something. I even tried reinstalling OF, no luck.

Any suggestions before I take this to the support ninjas?

Is there a way to change which key sets the flag in the quick entry dialog box? Through years of training, I have SHIFT-CMD-L bound to a different Quicksilver action. I'd love to set the "set flag in quick entry" key to be another setting.

Thanks!

Petonic, the quick entry window uses the same keyboard shortcut that OmniFocus itself does, so editing the keyboard shortcut via System Preferences (see here for how) should work just fine. Hope that helps!

Brian, that only works if the application for which you set the shortcut is the one listed in the menu bar at the time you invoke the shortcut. That's not the case when using the Quick Entry window (unless you fired it up while OmniFocus was the frontmost application, which isn't the usual case for many people, I suspect). The system doesn't know that you're trying to run the OmniFocus Set Flag command rather than a command by the same name in the current application (if one even exists), so you either get an error beep, or the wrong application sets a flag. Not what the OP is looking for, I'm confident :-)

Ah, good point. Feature request filed!