The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPad syncing is SLOW Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use OF on my Mac, with Omni Sync to a 1st generation iPad and an iPod Touch 4th Gen. The iPod syncs rather nicely, but the iPad is sooooo slooooowww. I only have a small database, but I could boil the kettle and make a coffee in the time it takes to sync the iPad. Major turnoff.

The GediWorrier

Omnisync is horribly slow. My iPhone 4s takes 15-30 seconds to sync. iPad retina and retina MacBook Pro both sync in seconds. Cultured codes sync takes a second at most.

30 seconds? Luxury!

My iPad takes minutes. The iPod touch takes 30 seconds, and I think that is pretty good.

BTW, I try and sync my Omni Outliner 3 by saving to the sync server, takes almost a minute using ethernet broadband.

GediWorrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgn123 View Post
Omnisync is horribly slow. My iPhone 4s takes 15-30 seconds to sync. iPad retina and retina MacBook Pro both sync in seconds. Cultured codes sync takes a second at most.
This is an unfortunate artifact of the way OmniFocus sync works.

Note they'll pipe in and let you know they want to work with you to make things faster. Which is true.

Normally the slow sync is if you have a client that hasn't synced in a while. If you go to the Mac and show clients, do you see a "stale" one in the list? If so, try removing it.

You could also sync everything and then go to the Mac and remove _all_ the clients but the Mac one, and then when they re-add they should get a "compacted" file and it will be faster. But to use OF sync you pretty much need to ensure you're syncing all clients every couple days at most. You almost need to make a recurring task for it :-)

Just as an update, my poor old iPad (1st gen) has suddenly seen the light and started to rapidly update my OF database. Maybe its because I kept showing it photos of the "new" iPad?

So far, all is good with the world :)