The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Possible iOS 4 Problem & Fix/Feature suggestion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I noticed on twitter that @omnifocus wrote "...Update adds local notifications and support for running in background."

My big concern is that if Omnifocus adds running in the background, it could cause problems with syncing with other devices.

The way it currently works is that Omnifocus forces a sync every time the app is opened, thus ensuring that the task list is the most up to date across all devices that syncs this data (Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad).

With the app running in the background, if I add or complete task X and exit, the app will run in the background. When I reopen the app, there's a possibility that omnifocus won't be forced into the sync, thus allowing the data across your devices to get out of whack.

With another feature that is available on iOS 4 is background task completion, I think this problem isn't a difficult one to fix. If you wonderful code monkeys at Omnigroup could include options to sync at selectable intervals of time and allow that task to be completed in the background, this would not only solve the problem that I've imagined, but could also streamline the app.

I'm not 100% sure this part is possible, but if you have the app sync in the background either almost all the time or exclusively in the background, this could speed up the user's experience when actually interacting with the app. I've read random negative feedback comments here and there talking about how a heavy task list can muck up one's work flow. If you switch the data syncing to the background, I feel like it would make the app have a better overall experience.