The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to attach files in DEVONthink Pro to OmniFocus tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use DevonThink Pro, and have tried to drag a file into the file section of an OmniFocus task. But...whenever I do this, I get the file contents instead of the file icon (or reference). How do I correct this?

Thanks!

I usually just link to the document in the DEVONthink database, so there may be a better way... but this will work. From DEVONthink you could reveal the document in the Finder (right-click, Show In Finder), then drag the document from the Finder to the OmniFocus task while holding down the option key.

Thanks very much for that. Well...I feared it would be something that would involve a number of steps like that. Pity that it couldn't be solved by just depressing another key w/ some drag and drop feature... Ah well.

NOTE TO OMNIFOCUS: This is a feature that I'm officially requesting for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyprint View Post
Thanks very much for that. Well...I feared it would be something that would involve a number of steps like that. Pity that it couldn't be solved by just depressing another key w/ some drag and drop feature... Ah well.

NOTE TO OMNIFOCUS: This is a feature that I'm officially requesting for the update!
In DEVONthink Pro, choose Edit > Copy Item Link, then paste the result into the OF notes field. If you want, you can give the menu item a keyboard shortcut in the Keyboard system preference pane; that way you don't need the mouse at all.

When I tried dragging directly from the DtP window to an OF item, I got the text contents in the OF notes field if the DtP item was text, but I got a file ref if the DtP item was a PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobubba View Post
In DEVONthink Pro, choose Edit > Copy Item Link, then paste the result into the OF notes field. If you want, you can give the menu item a keyboard shortcut in the Keyboard system preference pane; that way you don't need the mouse at all.
I use this method a lot and really like it. I keep all my reference in DtP and just paste the link into the OF Project or Action note field. The best part of this is that if you have both OF and DtP on your Mac, iPad, and iPhone and keep them sync'd, the links work in all of them.

Does anyone know of other note taking or reference apps that have a similar Copy Link function to link items within the database to specific OF actions/projects?
I'm not crazy about Devon's products.
tia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchit View Post
Does anyone know of other note taking or reference apps that have a similar Copy Link function to link items within the database to specific OF actions/projects?
I'm not crazy about Devon's products.
tia.
You can do it with Yojimbo and with Notational Velocity/nvAlt too. Note these are mostly text based and not "kitchen sink" style apps a la DEVONthink (which did get hit with the interface ugly stick, IMO).

Thanks CatOne,
I've tried Yojimbo and it's quite promising, but the lack of smart folders of saved search criteria other than use of it's tags system was a deal breaker for me.
I'll have another look at Notational Velocity.
I was addicted to StickyNotes for years... until SOHO destroyed it.
Any others?

Note that as atreinke points out (and I've pointed out elsewhere) DT has the wonderful property that the links made on Mac A work on Mac B, iPad C, iPhone D so you can continue to access your reference materials wherever you go with only minimal hoop-jumping required. I haven't tried Yojimbo or Evernote to see if they have this same property, but given that Mail and Dropbox mostly do not, I don't take it as a given. Yes, one can keep many types of materials inside OmniFocus, but it doesn't handle large files or numbers of files as well as one might want.

Thanks whpalmer4,
Do the links created between DT and OF in the Mac versions survive in the iDevice versions? e.g., if I link a DT item to an OF action then sync OF and swap to my iPhone/iPad version of OF, can I click the link in the OF action and it will take me to the item within DT on the iPhone/iPad?
I often link emails from Mail to actions in OF but those links don't survive when swapping to the iDevice version of OF.
I was disappointed to find in the iPhone/iPad DT that there doesn't seem to be an quick/easy way to import clippings from Safari or other text apps.