The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please allow clipping without selecting text in Mail.app Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I have been following OmniFocus for a while and finally seeing its getting close to being 1.0 I decided to download and try it out. My initial thoughts are that its pretty darn good and that I will probably be replacing iGTD with it. However I found my deal breaker. You have to select text from and email to add that email into your OmniFocus inbox. This takes the ninja fu out of email processing. I am back at iGTD where I can simply hit F6 and boom the current selected email is imported in. Match this functionality and i will be an omnifocus user, otherwise its my deal breaker.

regards,
Peedy

I'll second that. Being able to add individual emails (or a thread of emails) as whole referenced objects would be pretty useful. Most all of my work tasks are initiated via incoming emails or existing threads of emails.

Yesterday I wrote a simple applescript that let me create a new task from the currently selected email. It then inserts a note with a link back to the original message. I'm using Mailsmith but I assume the same could be done in Mail. It's triggered with command-F12.

I am always leary of scripts and such. Because they are prone to break the next time OmniFocus or Mail.app is updated. For me this is such an important feature I would feel most comfortable if it was natively supported.

Well, I've been using scripts that survived many different versions of different apps (not OF or Mail since I'm new to OF and don't use Mail). And you shouldn't be afraid of scripts since that is sometimes how functionality like this is implemented ... hmm, I actually see a couple of scripts in OF and one that is called "MailAction."

Im happy for you. I don't like to rely on hacked up scripts. Its just a matter of preference.

Yep, selecting an email or a whole email thread would be very valuable. Having a script to do that looks like a kludge to me.

/Markus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedy View Post
Im happy for you. I don't like to rely on hacked up scripts. Its just a matter of preference.
OK with me ...

I'd like to have this feature too!

absolutely agreed.

One of my fave features in iGTD. Will not switch to this app unless this functionality becomes available. Would MUCH rather have it available natively but will utilize a script if required.

And they are so close. There’s already a script to move a message that meets incoming criteria into the inbox. I tried adapting it to Mail Act On, doesn’t work for some reason.

Can’t believe this is missing.