The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

can I just see what’s currently due? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use my own version of GTD processing, and as such, I like to assign tasks due dates so that I'm not seeing everything on my plate but just seeing that which I need to do today.

The way I define what needs to be done today is any task with a due date of today prior. Is there a way to create a view/perspective where ALL I see are my tasks that are currently due?

I know I can click on the bar that has the different filters and select due, but then I still see everything, just sorted by due date. I can collapse everything due from tomorrow out, but I still see the word ‘tomorrow’ and ‘within the next week’, etc... and what is due today is separate from what is due before today (ie, overdue).

So, is there a way to just see my currently due tasks in one comprehensive view and nothing else?

The short answer is no. You can set up and save a perspective with tasks grouped by due date, and it sounds like you have already discovered that. If you want to check others' solutions to this, there are numerous threads covering this topic. See for example:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4369
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5096
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5036
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5235

Hope that helps somewhat.

I don't think so. You could, instead of marking today's tasks with a due date, mark them with a flag (assuming you're not already using the flag features some other way), and then you can restrict your view to those tasks with the flagged toggle on the view bar.

yep.

In my mind, this is a shortcoming.

As I compare OF and iGTD, one of my main areas of interest was comparing the iGTD concept of Smart Folders with the OF ‘view’ pane (not sure what it’s actually called).

I’m honestly not sure the view pane will allow me the focused view I really want. This seems basic to me, allow me to see ONLY those things that need to be done TODAY and NOTHING ELSE.

I’m surprised and disappointed OF doesn’t allow this.

I bought a license to allow continued testing, as well as to support OG, I love their stuff and own just about all of it. But after a weekend of using OF I'm still not sure if I'll be saying with it or going back to iGTD. If I go back, this is a big reason why, along with a far more efficient means of importing emails (not having to ‘clip’ contents but just selecting the entire email).

This app is cool, has a nice look and some great features, but this is a big hole for me.

flag doesn’t work.

I need to add a task today for something I want to do on 12/14/07, and then I don’t want it ANYWHERE on my radar until 12/14/07.

I can do this in iGTD. Honestly can’t believe the due sort is the closest OF gets to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
flag doesn’t work.

I need to add a task today for something I want to do on 12/14/07, and then I don’t want it ANYWHERE on my radar until 12/14/07.

I can do this in iGTD. Honestly can’t believe the due sort is the closest OF gets to it.
Are you using start dates? If you know in advance the date you want the task to pop up, I would think a start date would solve the problem.

Craig.....does using start dates offer viewing functionality different from due dates?

I’m assuming I can get the same view I've got now if I use start instead of due dates and change the selector to specify how I want to construct the perspective.

But I'm still going to get lists for tomorrow/next week/next month, and my list of currently due will still be separated by current and prior. I don’t see how this changes anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
Craig.....does using start dates offer viewing functionality different from due dates?
Yes, inasmuch as it means that if you're viewing Available or Next actions, actions with future start dates will be totally hidden.

Bear in mind that I'm not sure this will satisfy all the requests you've voiced in this thread - I just thought I'd make sure you had explored what that feature might offer.

hey Craig, unless I'm missing something, I see no difference whatsoever. It works exactly the same as if I put those dates in the due column. I’m using the two fields essentially interchangeably.

If I use start date, I see the exact same thing. Tasks with a start date prior to today show up in the ‘yesterday’ (or prior) display, today’s stuff shows under ‘today’, then I have the ‘next week’ and ‘next month’ displays.

What I want is pretty straightforward. I want ONE list that shows me ALL the tasks that are due today or prior, and I don’t want to see ANY lists for ANY future tasks, whether they be for tomorrow, next month or next year. I want to absolutely focus in on what needs to be done TODAY.

It’s kind of ironic that an app with the word ‘focus’ in the name and a toolbar icon called ‘focus’ does not allow me to do this.

Can't you just close the non-relevant parts? Or, change the start date on the tasks, since it would seem that if you only worked on things starting today, anything you didn't get done yesterday will never get done.