The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grouping Tasks on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find it really hard to group tasks on the iPad. The only way I can do this with any accuracy is from within a project but most of the time I group tasks to avoid creating a small project.

In the inbox, for example, I create 3 tasks

- task 1
- task 2
- task 3

I want task 1 to be the header so I select task 2 and move it to task 1. The I do the same with task 3. Fine so far.

If I then set the header's context and project, all three disappear. If I set the tasks context and projects the the header is left behind and becomes available, the 2 tasks are seperated from the header and are both available in their contexts.

I'm confused, there must be an easier way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
I find it really hard to group tasks on the iPad. The only way I can do this with any accuracy is from within a project but most of the time I group tasks to avoid creating a small project.

In the inbox, for example, I create 3 tasks

- task 1
- task 2
- task 3

I want task 1 to be the header so I select task 2 and move it to task 1. The I do the same with task 3. Fine so far.

If I then set the header's context and project, all three disappear. If I set the tasks context and projects the the header is left behind and becomes available, the 2 tasks are seperated from the header and are both available in their contexts.

I'm confused, there must be an easier way
Your inbox is where you collect tasks, once you sent contexts and projects, they will disappear from your inbox., if you look in the projects folder, you may find them in the 'no project' project, if if you've given them a project, in that project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
Your inbox is where you collect tasks, once you sent contexts and projects, they will disappear from your inbox., if you look in the projects folder, you may find them in the 'no project' project, if if you've given them a project, in that project.
I understand this, I need to set a context and project but it is very difficult, if not impossible, to do it while trying to group actions. I emailed Omni support and they had no suggestions on how to make it work either. The only way I can reliably make it work is from within a project.

Perhaps it will help if you think of setting the project as setting the parent. So if you set the parent of an action that's already inside an action group, you're taking it out of that action group to put it under the project.
On the other hand, if you set the project of the action group, then the action group should become a child of the project, and the actions grouped under it should stay grouped under it when they all move to the project.
If that's not how it's behaving, I think that's a bug.