The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thing to remember but not to do right now Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using OF for a while but I haven't really used it ... if you understand what I mean.

However, vacation is coming to it's end and it's time to start planning again. And it's one thing I don't really understand how to do: assume that I've collected a number of items in the inbox. Later I go trough them and add them to different projects ... but there are some that I want to file and forget about, at least for some time. What is the best way of doing this? Create a "an hold" project and put them there? Is there some better way?

That's one approach. Another way would be to put them in the project where they belong, but give it a start date not for when to actually do the thing, but when to think about it again and consider doing it. Then it'll be grayed-out until that date rolls around, so you can semi-ignore it.

I use a two-tiered approach. I use top-level folders for life roles. Under those I have Someday/Maybe folders that are marked inactive. I toss long-term stuff in there and only look at it during my bi-annual reviews. (Well, that's the plan. I've only done one of those reviews since starting on OF.) Shorter term items I toss in the appropriate top-level folder as separate "On Hold" projects. I also set an appropriate Review Date stride (say 5 weeks, 11 weeks, 17 weeks). My weekly review includes looking over any On-Hold project with a review date due in the next week. I find this spreads out my reviews so that no single review is overwhelming. As an academic, it also makes it easy to defer ideas to subsequent terms.

Curt